The GS posted public comments for a public meeting on 4/25/2024 – but not co-creation of the 5th NAP in 2022

Alexander Howard

Apr 29, 2024, 4:04:37 PMApr 29
Hi all --

Sorry for any cross-posting! It was great to see some of you in-person at the OpenGovHub last week. I hope you're well.

Video is not available yet, but the General Services Administration has now posted agenda & slides: https://open.usa.gov/meeting/April-25-2024-Open-Government-Data-Forum/ …and written public comments:
https://open.usa.gov/assets/files/04252024-Open-Government-Data-Forum-Written-Public-Comments.pdf

The General Services Administration also formally announced the creation of an Open Government Federal Advisory Committee on Friday in the Federal Register:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/26/2024-08970/notice-of-intent-to-establish-a-federal-advisory-committee-and-call-for-nominations

This is all good news!

While the Open Government Secretariat deserves credit for publishing public comment, doing so should be seen as table stakes for the federal government's open government efforts, not the notable progress it represents.

While the Open Government Partnership Independent Review Mechanism still has not posted a final version of its design report for the United States, the assessment they published in December 2023 remains an accurate depiction of failures in transparency and accountability in the co-creation and implementation process, including nondisclosure of inputs submitted on forms at open.usa.gov and those sent to the White House Open Government Working Group:  https://www.opengovpartnership.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/United-States_Action-Plan-Review_2022-2024_for-public-comment.pdf

The continuing refusal of the White House to revise commitments in the 5th NAP as the OGP IRM recommended and add commitments for a NAP 5.5 in 2025 does not match up with the administrator's statement about "strengthening the partnership between GSA and civil society bolsters our democracy" –  much less President Biden's call to "stand with those in civil society and courageous citizens around the world who are demanding transparency of their governments" and "all work together to hold governments accountable for the people they serve."

This stance does not align with the leadership position that the United States' presence on the Open Government Partnership Steering Committee implies. I hope we see more progress in the months ahead, starting with the White House celebrating OpenGovWeek with new challenge commitments in May and continuing with agencies co-creating new open government plans for 2024 with their advisory committees.