Fwd: Upcoming Public Open Gov Events

Alexander Howard

Apr 1, 2024, 12:32:54 PMApr 1
Hi all —

Sorry for any crossposting or repetition. The GSA Open Government Secretariat sent the following message to the new listserv, flagging several opportunities for public comment and participation in open government-related fora and policies.

In particular, I want to flag
1) draft US FOIA Advisory Committee recommendations, which I helped co-create:

2) a White House request for comment on public participation and community engagement, which could use another signal boost:
Beth Noveck, who used to lead open government for the Obama White House, noted that the White House Office of Management and Budget’s new guidance on AI missed an opportunity on public engagement:
She’s right. While OMB has recently done some good work here:

… the White House writ large could do much more to support participation and collaboration than broadening public engagement in the regulatory process.  Voter registration drivers and engagement is obvious in 2024, but that’s table stakes in an election year.

This is a golden opportunity to offer the federal government formal, constructive feedback about the successes and failures of its approaches to public engagement, participation, and collaboration since 2000 — not just in five cycles of National Action Plans for the Open Government Partnership, but over the first two decades of the 20th century.

I hope you’ll share it with others!

Best,

-Alex

PS. For transparency’s sake, I’m forwarding a slightly edited version of this email, after running it through spellcheck. (I am a fan of public editors.)