Suggest ideas, research, and communities for Open Gov NAP 5

Philip Ashlock - QQA

Jun 2, 2022, 1:57:07 PM6/2/22
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Open Government Community,,

For those who weren't able to join the meeting in May, you can find a recording of the meeting on the meeting page at https://open.usa.gov/meeting/may-2022-public-meeting/

As announced at the meeting, we are looking for input on ideas, research, and communities to support the co-creation process for developing the 5th National Action Plan for Open Government. These forms will be available until June 27th. We will not be responding to everything we receive during this initial phase of the co-creation process, but will publish a report summarizing the input we receive.

Our next public meeting is likely to be the week of June 20th, but we are still finalizing the date.

Best,
Phil

--
Philip Ashlock
Director, Data & Analytics Portfolio

Stephen Buckley

Jun 27, 2022, 11:59:57 PM6/27/22
to Philip Ashlock - QQA, sbuckley opengovmetrics.com, us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil,

The purpose of this email is to respond to your request for input for "co-creating" the Version 5.0 of the National Action Plan for Open Government.

As you may know (but others may not), President Obama started the U.S. "Open Government" on his first full day in office in January 2009 (with now-President Biden standing by his side):

Since that time, I have attended almost all of the quarterly meetings held by the Interagency Working Group on Open Government (which, some may be surprised to know, was not abolished during the Trump administration):

In fact, I was the one who first suggested that the White House set up this email-list (aka, google-group) so that everyone with an interest in the U.S. #OpenGov effort could easily inform each other with news and information .. without needing to have an office or special connections in D.C.

It was not until the summer of 2011, which was two and half years later, that the U.S. help create and join the Open Government Partnership, an international effort to advocate for Open Government.

Unfortunately for the U.S. effort, most of the previous "co-creation" in #OpenGov was ignored.  And, even though it was over a dozen years ago, much of it is as relevant as it is today.  But while it is still archived online, there are simply too many ideas for me to feed them into your three different suggestion-boxes.

Before I give you the link to that 2009 archive of #OpenGov "brainstorming", I want to point out that it was a totally transparent,participatory and collaborative process, because everyone could see the ideas being suggest and comment on any one of them.

That sort of thing does not happen with a "suggestion-box" where no one knows what all the others suggest.  By posting to this email-list, at least, others will read my thoughts without them being screened for content.

I am interested in what others think of the ideas presented on this website (see below).  Because the ideas where rated, I'd like to point out that the #1 rated idea was to protect government whistleblowers (after legalizing marijuana and showing Obama's birthcertificate):

best,
Stephen Buckley