OpenAPI (fka Swagger) In Federal Gov

Kin Lane

Oct 29, 2018, 3:05:56 PM10/29/18
to US Government APIs
Hey now,

If you are using OpenAPI (fka Swagger) at your federal agency can you raise your hand? Or know of an agency who is?

We are just taking roll call as part of outreach efforts at the OpenAPI Initiative(OAI), to help drive internal resources to where they will be needed in 2019.

Thanks!! Keep up the great work.

Kin Lane
@kinlane

Trey White

Oct 29, 2018, 4:24:49 PM10/29/18
to Kin Lane, US Government APIs
Hey Kin...

We’re are using it in the DoD for a few projects... OUSD/A&S.  Hit me up for more details... happy to support your efforts!

Thanks!
Trey

Sent from my iPhone

Burns, Martin (Fed)

Oct 29, 2018, 4:28:52 PM10/29/18
to Kin Lane, US Government APIs

Kin,

We plan to use it in an upcoming Smart Grid project. And, I recommend it everywhere I go.

Cheers,

Marty

Dr. Martin J. Burns,

Smart Grid & Cyber Physical Systems Program Office

Associate Director for Testbed Science

martin...@nist.gov

Tel: 301-975-6283

Cel: 202-379-8021

Ivana Ng

Oct 29, 2018, 5:02:18 PM10/29/18
to Burns, Martin (Fed), Kin Lane, US Government APIs
CMS' Quality Payment Program has a series of APIs, all of which use Swagger.

Examples:

Ivana Ng
Senior Product Manager, Quality Payment Program - Architecture
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Ryan Day (BDFE)

Oct 29, 2018, 5:25:09 PM10/29/18
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Responding to Kin's original email.

GSA is publishing Swagger specs for some APIs today, and we will be working with our groups to start providing OpenAPI specs for all our public APIs.

A related side note is that we also are doing some work with the open source Swagger UI to improve the 508 and handicap accessibility and will be including an update version of the Swagger UI in our documentation template.

Ryan Day | GSA IT | Office of the CTO

GSA API Directory: https://open.gsa.gov/api

Kin Lane

Oct 30, 2018, 5:28:53 AM10/30/18
to US Government APIs
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback. I'll keep documenting based upon what I find, and please keep letting me know of anything you are working on. I'll be pinging some of you directly.

The OAI is really working to include what you all are doing in its efforts, so please reach out to them via their GitHub and other channels.

They'll be commenting here, and I know they are working to setup government specific channels for here in US and EU.

Thanks!

Kin Lane

Laura Beaufort

Oct 30, 2018, 9:23:21 AM10/30/18
to US Government APIs
The FEC  (Federal Election Commission) uses OpenAPI for its campaign finance API: https://api.open.fec.gov/developers/. GitHub: https://github.com/fecgov/openfec

Please email api...@fec.gov if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Laura

Ben Morris

Oct 30, 2018, 10:06:32 AM10/30/18
to US Government APIs
The FDIC uses swagger to document it's new public APIs.
https://banks.data.fdic.gov/docs/

There is also some usage for internal APIs.

The other mentioned efforts to work on the accessibility of swagger UI would be great, and we'd be eager to incorporate that for FDIC.

ayalel...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2018, 11:29:44 PM10/31/18
to US Government APIs
At VA we're using it and you can check out some examples at: https://developer.va.gov/

Trying to get more of VA using it, which is a slow grind but making some good progress on internal APIs as well!

jernstf...@linuxfoundation.org

Oct 31, 2018, 11:29:44 PM10/31/18
to US Government APIs
Thank you Kin,

Hey all, I am the program manager for the OpenAPI Initiative and want to thank everyone for your participation in the OAS ecosystem. Please join our conversations on GitHub or participate on our regular, public and open technical steering committee calls in you want to be directly involved in the evolution of the spec: https://github.com/OAI/OpenAPI-Specification/blob/master/README.md#participation

For everyone who is interested, I'd be happy to mail you some OAI laptop stickers. Send a message to jernstf...@linuxfoundation.org with your preferred mailing address and I'd be happy to send some out to you and your team members, or you can hog them all for yourself if you are so inclined.

And to echo what Kin has said please let us know how we can support further adoption of the OAS, if that means hosting training, bringing awareness to your public APIs or feature requests to the spec, we want to help get the word out on OAS.

Thank you again everyone!