2018 kit help

David Brown

Jun 23, 2018, 8:41:59 AM6/23/18
to URI Laser Scarecrow
If you reply to this topic, I'll get an email. If you start a different topic, I encourage you to also email me at david_...@uri.edu. We very much want you to be successful in building these kits.

-David

Cole Johnson

Jul 13, 2018, 12:04:24 PM7/13/18
to URI Laser Scarecrow
Where can i purchase this kit? Is it not available yet?

David Brown

Jul 13, 2018, 3:10:30 PM7/13/18
to uri-laser...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Mr.. Johnson; thank you for your interest.

The University of Rhode Island is not in the business of producing kits for sale. As part of Dr. Brown's ongoing research, a small number of kits were put together for some growers in the region who had expressed an interest in participating in this research. These growers did financially help to offset the time and materials required to purchase the components and do the 3D printing and soldering so that only mechanical assembly steps remained. Also as part of her research she is partnering with at least one company that does offer commercial bird deterrent devices to explore their effectiveness in smaller, peri-urban fields. In time, we hope that products will be available that better suit this need.

So, to more directly answer your question, you can't purchase this kit and we don't expect it to ever be available. Not least because we had to make some significant design changes this past week ;-) There might be similar research participation opportunities in future years, but we're only barely starting to think about that as we get into harvest season.

It is, however, our intent to offer enough resources online that if you have the ability to do some 3D printing, through-hole soldering, and basic mechanical assembly, you would be able to produce a similar device yourself. The design is a work-in-progress, making it difficult to keep the files updated, but I am continuing to work on sharing our designs as I have time.

The 2018 design is still a bit of a moving target. The 2017 design is documented at https://sites.google.com/view/urilaserscarecrow/building-a-laser-scarecrow. If you decide to work on building one and have questions or wish to share your experience and ideas, I encourage you to post a new thread in the URI Laser Scarecrow forum. You are also welcome to email me, david_...@uri.edu.

-David
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted