[UrduNLP] Google Urdu Translation

JAFAR Rizvi

May 15, 2010, 2:11:58 AM5/15/10
to urd...@googlegroups.com
Google Urdu Translation
http://translate.google.com/#en|ur|

Miriam Butt

May 16, 2010, 11:18:13 AM5/16/10
to urd...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't do the ergative!!!

Miriam

JAFAR Rizvi wrote:
Google Urdu Translation
http://translate.google.com/#en|ur|

Miriam Butt
FB Sprachwissenschaft
Universitaet Konstanz
Fach 184	       Tel: +49 7531 88 5109
78457 Konstanz	       Fax: +49 7531 88 4865
Germany		            +49 7531 88 5115

miria...@uni-konstanz.de

Could Miss Liberty, like a deponent verb, be a wolf in
sheep's clothing?
	  Michael Innes, The Journeying Boy

http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/butt

Nadir Durrani

May 16, 2010, 2:36:18 PM5/16/10
to urd...@googlegroups.com
There's a problem with all case markers. Either they are missing or they don't agree with the subject/object. Other then agreement of cases there is also a problem with gender agreement. Check out this translations:

He was really tired.
وہ واقعی تک گئی تھی

Australia has beaten Pakistan
آسٹریلیا نے پاکستان کو شکست دے چکی

He had to go somewhere
وہ کہیں جانا تھا

Google has a reasonable English-Hindi translation system. Perhaps they should try making using of triangulation between English-Hindi-Urdu if there isn't enough English-Urdu parallel data available. We sent them a proposal for Hindi-to-Urdu machine translation system, about a year and half ago, but it didn't get approved.

Anyway still good to see Urdu in that list. Hoping for a better beta version.

Regards
Nadir Durrani
University of Stuttgart

Nadir Durrani

May 16, 2010, 2:45:30 PM5/16/10
to urd...@googlegroups.com
Seems like there's a problem of agreement in my own sentences too:

<  Check out this translations:
>  Check out these translations:

Regards
Nadir