hAxis r2 is available

Theo Armour

Mar 4, 2013, 11:34:53 PM3/4/13
to urdacha
Hi Everybody

File

Description below copied from here:

hAxis has a new release. This revision adds animation, choice of cities, more settings and improved feedback.

At this stage it is still not easy to observe patterns. A few simple patterns, however, are quite obvious - such as the changes that occur late at night and in the mornings. It will take a few more revisions before interesting and relevant patterns become discernible. The significance of this demo is that the technical aspects have been covered. From a coding point of view the project is technically viable and doable. Animated 3D visualizations of a half million lines of data and viewing them in your browser is now a given.

The interesting questions now relate to how should you view data in 3D so as to see the data in new ways and what should your experience be like.

Some of the issues relating to this release include the following:

It may take a minute or so for your browser to download the data. Look for the 'Ajax Responses' at top of page to reach at least 60,000. If you download the data file and app, the two will load in a few seconds. With Tim's help we can most likely get this all working a bit faster.

It takes only about five minutes to replay the entire week/500,000+ lines of San Francisco data. This could be sped up but with likely loss of viewability. There are many things yet to be done. For example, there should be a way of relating the data points to similar data points - such as connecting all the points of a single bus running along a route. A color coding system needs to be added. The San Francisco color system is impractical because several routes use the same color. A permalink feature is needed so that when you observe an interesting pattern you can save that pattern as a link for others to observe. Currently there is minimal lighting and shading. While not particularly necessary here, at least a bit more shading would make the 'feel' a bit better. As always, a number of bugs were fixed and a lot of lines of code were cleaned, but then new bugs appeared and and so did messiness.

I do feel good about being at this stage with a good amount of time remaining.

A big issues is still how to orchestrate all the data.

It is probably a bit early to ask anybody to use this code. Best to wait for a few more releases before any serious commenting. But do feel free to play with the 3D motion and things like that.

Theo

Cynthia Armour

Mar 14, 2013, 12:40:49 AM3/14/13
to Theo Armour, urdacha
Hi,

Sorry it's taken me so long to review these. Agree that it is still difficult to grasp, navigate, and learn from the haxis. But I'm starting to think we should probably be submitting two different projects - this on the one hand and the map version separately. There are no submission limits. Also, there is nothing to do apart from upload projects/websites along with a "description narrative" to the Urban Data Challenge site before March 31st.

Theo

Theo Armour

Mar 14, 2013, 1:01:50 AM3/14/13
to Cynthia Armour, urdacha
Hi Cynthia

Yes, 3D is not always easy. Think of some of the games you play and how much the game controls/prevents you from failing. 3D data, well, bound to be trouble.

Not to worry.

After, I finish doing my tax prep - by Friday of course - I will start preparing some typical setups.

These will be links that set up everything for you in the app.

I will also add explanations etc. Once you have these then you can start tweaking and ameliorating.

Jumping ahead, the final package will have a number of setups - some using hAxis but also some of the others.

More on this next week.

In the meantime, the thing you can be doing is looking for great transport statistics presentations. What have people done that is cool.

If we are to stand on the shoulders of giants(as Isaac Newton said he did) then we need to know who the giants are...

Love,

Daddy