Re: Repository and Directory Structure Options

Michael Bunsen

Jul 23, 2009, 6:25:47 AM7/23/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
The local settings app sounds perfect. Maybe you can upload the
package to the google group for now:
http://groups.google.com/group/urbanedibles-dev/files?upload=1

I look forward to trying it out!

Michael

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Rami Kassab<ra...@typethink.com> wrote:

> [...]
> it in your list of installed apps and then you instantly get over-writable
> settings. Simply create a python package (a folder with __init__.py) and
> create .py files named after all the hostnames of the users working on the
> project. They will automatically get loaded when a dev runs the projects on
> their machine... based on their hostname. For example, my Mac's hostname is
> 'Rami's MacBook.local' so I have a .py file within the local_settings
> directory titled 'ramis_macbook_local.py' (all special characters in the
> hostname are converted to underscores). In that file I can override whatever
> settings I want. It's really nifty and easy to use. Let me know if you guys
> want to include it and use it in the project and we'd be happy to package it
> up and send it your way. Thanks!
> --
> Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
> M 503.888.8605
> ra...@typethink.com
> LinkedIn Profile
>
> Typethink - Creative Web Firm
> P 503.626.6231
> F 503.626.6233
> 111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
> Portland, OR 97204
> www.typethink.com
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Rick Flosi <rick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on how we should structure the repository?
>>
>> This is the structure I've been using for my django projects on
>> webfaction:
>>
>> UrbanEdibles/
>>     branches/
>>     tags/
>>     trunk/
>>         django/
>>             urbanedibles/ (the django project)
>>                 [1 or more django apps]/
>>         static/
>>             css/
>>             img/
>>             js/
>>
>> Then I mount django/ at / on the webserver and static/ at /s/.
>> The media/ files for django will also need to be setup as well.
>>
>> I also use a settings-local.py and urls-local.py which import settings.py
>> and urls.py and then overwrite the parts needed to make it work locally. I
>> imagine people working on the django code will likely want to do something
>> similar to develop locally, but we'll probably need files like
>> settings-local-rick.py, settings-local-rflosi.py or settings-rflosi.py, ie.
>> some more personal naming scheme. Then you just use the settings file when
>> running locally.
>>
>> -r.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Michael Bunsen <not...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Mark,
>>>
>>> Were you able to get together any model code? I made you and Rick
>>> owners on the Google code project, so feel free to put anything there.
>>> I have no attachment to the old code or directory structure that is
>>> already there.
>>>
>>> Hey everyone else,
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on how we should structure the repository? We decided to

mark

Jul 24, 2009, 1:36:18 AM7/24/09
to Urban Edibles Website Development
Thanks for the getting started document!
http://code.google.com/p/urbanedibles/wiki/GettingStartedWithMercurial
--mgross

On Jul 23, 3:25 am, Michael Bunsen <not...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The local settings app sounds perfect. Maybe you can upload the
> package to the google group for now:http://groups.google.com/group/urbanedibles-dev/files?upload=1
>
> I look forward to trying it out!
>
> Michael
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Rami Kassab<r...@typethink.com> wrote:
>
> > As for local settings, we might just have the app for you. We've written a
> > cool little app called, well, local_settings :) All you need to do is place
> > it in your list of installed apps and then you instantly get over-writable
> > settings. Simply create a python package (a folder with __init__.py) and
> > create .py files named after all the hostnames of the users working on the
> > project. They will automatically get loaded when a dev runs the projects on
> > their machine... based on their hostname. For example, my Mac's hostname is
> > 'Rami's MacBook.local' so I have a .py file within the local_settings
> > directory titled 'ramis_macbook_local.py' (all special characters in the
> > hostname are converted to underscores). In that file I can override whatever
> > settings I want. It's really nifty and easy to use. Let me know if you guys
> > want to include it and use it in the project and we'd be happy to package it
> > up and send it your way. Thanks!
> > --
> > Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
> > M 503.888.8605
> > r...@typethink.com
> > LinkedIn Profile
>
> > Typethink - Creative Web Firm
> > P 503.626.6231
> > F 503.626.6233
> > 111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
> > Portland, OR 97204
> >www.typethink.com

Rami Kassab

Jul 24, 2009, 6:12:52 PM7/24/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
Michael, I don't think I have the permission to upload. I can access the page but I cannot find a link to upload the package? Would it be easier for you guys if I just checked out the project and added in the local_settings app for you guys?

--
Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
ra...@typethink.com
LinkedIn Profile

Typethink - Creative Web Firm
P 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Portland, OR 97204
www.typethink.com

Michael Bunsen

Jul 24, 2009, 6:27:29 PM7/24/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
I just turned on uploads for members, so it should work now. There
isn't an empty django app in the repo yet to add local_settings to,
but I'll try and do that this evening.

Michael

Rami Kassab

Jul 24, 2009, 8:28:10 PM7/24/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I've uploaded a zip file containing a barebones Django project with the local_settings app installed and enabled. Check it out. It's really straightforward. There are full instructions on how to use it in local_settings/__init__.py

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

--
Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
ra...@typethink.com
LinkedIn Profile

Typethink - Creative Web Firm
P 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Portland, OR 97204
www.typethink.com

mark gross

Jul 26, 2009, 4:33:18 PM7/26/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
where did you put the zip file?

--mgross

Rami Kassab

Jul 26, 2009, 4:49:40 PM7/26/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
It should be in the files section of the google group?

Rami Kassab
M 503.888.8605
W 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
ra...@typethink.com

Sent from my iPhone.

Rami Kassab

Jul 26, 2009, 5:59:22 PM7/26/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to the find the zip file that has a sample Django project with our local_settings app in it on this page: http://groups.google.com/group/urbanedibles-dev/files

Let me know if you cannot get it. Thanks!