Repository and Directory Structure

Michael

Jul 22, 2009, 7:15:04 PM7/22/09
to Urban Edibles Website Development
This sounds good and standard Rick. I have been looking for something
like the settings-local.py solution too. Would an example of that look
like this? :

from django.conf import settings

settings.configure(
DEBUG=True,
TEMPLATE_DIRS=(
'/home/michael/edibles/templates',
)
)

I will try and clear the repo and check in an empty Django project
tonight or tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Michael

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Rick Flosi<rick....@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Any thoughts on how we should structure the repository?
>
> This is the structure I've been using for my django projects on webfaction:
>
> UrbanEdibles/
> branches/
> tags/
> trunk/
> django/
> urbanedibles/ (the django project)
> [1 or more django apps]/
> static/
> css/
> img/
> js/
>
> Then I mount django/ at / on the webserver and static/ at /s/.
> The media/ files for django will also need to be setup as well.
>
> I also use a settings-local.py and urls-local.py which import settings.py
> and urls.py and then overwrite the parts needed to make it work locally. I
> imagine people working on the django code will likely want to do something
> similar to develop locally, but we'll probably need files like
> settings-local-rick.py, settings-local-rflosi.py or settings-rflosi.py, ie.
> some more personal naming scheme. Then you just use the settings file when
> running locally.
>
> -r.

Rick Flosi

Jul 22, 2009, 7:25:15 PM7/22/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
These are the files from a project I'm working on...

settings-local.py:
from lpcs.settings import *
DEBUG = True
TEMPLATE_DEBUG = DEBUG
ROOT_URLCONF = 'lpcs.urls-local'
MEDIA_ROOT = '/Users/rpf/Work/LPCS/trunk/static/'
DOMAIN = '127.0.0.1:8000'
MEDIA_URL = 'http://%s/s/' % DOMAIN
TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
    '/Users/rpf/Work/LPCS/trunk/django/lpcs/templates',
)
Basically turn on debugging, set to use urls-local.py, and set the media paths and template directories to my local path.

urls-local.py:
from lpcs.urls import *
urlpatterns_local = patterns('',
    # Static files for development server
    (r'^s/(?P<path>.*)$', 'django.views.static.serve',
        {'document_root': '/Users/rpf/Work/LPCS/trunk/static'}),
)
urlpatterns = urlpatterns_local + urlpatterns
And here we serve static content through django so you don't have to setup a local webserver for static files.

-r.

Michael Bunsen

Jul 23, 2009, 5:35:39 AM7/23/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
True, I can't find a good example of a typical Mercurial / Git schema.
It seems like everything is just a branch. Should we just make a dir
called django in the default branch? As for static files, I am in
favor of keeping them a separate, unless there are just a few files
that are part of the core site design.

I switched the google code project to a blank mercurial repo. I
started getting my hands dirty with hg tonight. I created a branch
called sandbox to play with, and wrote a quick how-to as I went a
long:

http://code.google.com/p/urbanedibles/wiki/GettingStartedWithMercurial

Also, you are all part of the google group now and can replace your
reply-all's with urbanedi...@googlegroups.com

Michael

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM, mark gross<mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> but we are not using SVN.  Does a tags, branches and trunk directory
> structure make sense when using a DSCM like Hg?  (ok I shouldn't be
> asking.  it doesn't)
>
> --mgross
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Rami Kassab<ra...@typethink.com> wrote:
>> Rick, I'm wondering what the reason is for separating out the static media
>> from the Django project itself? We typically keep it all together. Our
>> typical SVN structure looks like this:
>> /branches/
>> /tags/
>> /trunk/
>>
>> django_project_name/
>>
>> project_files
>>
>> As for local settings, we might just have the app for you. We've written a
>> cool little app called, well, local_settings :) All you need to do is place
>> it in your list of installed apps and then you instantly get over-writable
>> settings. Simply create a python package (a folder with __init__.py) and
>> create .py files named after all the hostnames of the users working on the
>> project. They will automatically get loaded when a dev runs the projects on
>> their machine... based on their hostname. For example, my Mac's hostname is
>> 'Rami's MacBook.local' so I have a .py file within the local_settings
>> directory titled 'ramis_macbook_local.py' (all special characters in the
>> hostname are converted to underscores). In that file I can override whatever
>> settings I want. It's really nifty and easy to use. Let me know if you guys
>> want to include it and use it in the project and we'd be happy to package it
>> up and send it your way. Thanks!
>> --
>> Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
>> M 503.888.8605
>> ra...@typethink.com
>> LinkedIn Profile
>>
>> Typethink - Creative Web Firm
>> P 503.626.6231
>> F 503.626.6233
>> 111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
>> Portland, OR 97204
>> www.typethink.com

Michael Schurter

Jul 23, 2009, 12:34:31 PM7/23/09
On Jul 23, 2:35 am, Michael Bunsen <not...@gmail.com> wrote:
> True, I can't find a good example of a typical Mercurial / Git schema.
> It seems like everything is just a branch. Should we just make a dir
> called django in the default branch? As for static files, I am in
> favor of keeping them a separate, unless there are just a few files
> that are part of the core site design.

Sorry for coming in late, but just wanted to add my $0.02 on how I've
done Django projects in bzr before (would work the same in hg or git):

/ - Root folder where .bzr/.hg/.git directory lives
/README.txt - always need a readme :)
/dev.db - sqlite development db (*not* committed to repo)
/docs - just a place to drop documents or development resources like
diagrams
/fixtures - a place to hold test data for loading into django

/static - for static files, mapped to /static/ in Apache using an
Alias directive
/static/images
/static/js
/static/css - you can guess these :)

/templates - place to keep *all* django templates. i don't like
keeping them in apps
/templates/<app>/<model>_detail.html - an example of a template that
will get picked up by an object_detail generic view

/apps - directory holding all of our apps
/apps/settings.py - main settings file
/apps/local_settings.py - *not* committed, used by devs to override
the default settings
/apps/local_settings.py.template - *is* committed, used by devs to get
sane development defaults

Its not a perfect setup by any means, but imho its an improvement over
just dumping everything into 1 "django project" folder.

HTH. At the end of the day directory structure isn't nearly as
important as code, so feel free to ignore me. :-)

Michael Schurter
@schmichael

Michael Schurter

Jul 23, 2009, 12:59:48 PM7/23/09
to Urban Edibles Website Development
On Jul 23, 9:34 am, Michael Schurter <michael.schur...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> /apps/local_settings.py - *not* committed, used by devs to override
> the default settings

Should have mentioned this is what my local_settings.py looks like:

import os
DEBUG = True
TEMPLATE_DEBUG = DEBUG
ROOT_PATH = os.path.abspath(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),
'..'))

DATABASE_ENGINE = 'sqlite3'
DATABASE_NAME = os.path.join(ROOT_PATH, 'dev.db')
MEDIA_ROOT = os.path.join(ROOT_PATH, 'static')
TEMPLATE_DIRS = ( os.path.join(ROOT_PATH, 'templates'), )

SERVER_EMAIL = 'root@localhost' # FIXME
DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = SERVER_EMAIL

## And this is how its included in settings.py:

try:
from local_settings import *
except ImportError:
if DEBUG:
print 'No local_settings.py file found.'
import sys
sys.exit(1)

## (The code in the except clause is obviously optional, but it was a
nice reminder for new devs to setup their own local settings)

Michael Bunsen

Jul 23, 2009, 6:58:05 PM7/23/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
I guess "default" is the hg equivalent of git's "master".

I say we go a head and create schmichael's tree in the default branch
and start coding. I like keeping the templates grouped together at /
because it makes contribution by designers easier for. Same for
/static

As for complying with the webfaction webapp structure, our deployment
script could export files from the repo where they are suppose to go.
I am still interested in seeing if things will run on App Engine at
some point too.

michael

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM, mark gross<mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> release management via the DSCM is a good question.
>
> I would think we lay down tags on the good versions and we try to keep
> all mainline development on the master branch (I'm using git
> terminology) But I'm a Hg novice.
>
> I know some folks to ask for advice on this (IRC: pythonpdx or
> pdxpython? and perhaps some mailing lists would be a good idea to ask
> for advice too...)
>
> --mgross
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Rick Flosi<rick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mark,

>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM, mark gross <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> but we are not using SVN.  Does a tags, branches and trunk directory
>>> structure make sense when using a DSCM like Hg?  (ok I shouldn't be
>>> asking.  it doesn't)
>>

>> Yeah, you're right. Do we want a place to keep copies of release branches
>> when we deploy to the live server? Or more generally, will deployment be
>> controlled or uncontrolled?
>>
>> -r.

Rami Kassab

Jul 23, 2009, 8:15:38 PM7/23/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
All, I would recommend you try finding a different host. We have a few clients on WebFaction and they're site load considerably slower than sites hosted on Slicehost for example. WebFaction has a great setup but their network has latency issues in my opinion. Have you guys set your minds on WebFaction or are alternatives still open for discussion?

--
Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
ra...@typethink.com
LinkedIn Profile

Typethink - Creative Web Firm
P 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Portland, OR 97204
www.typethink.com

Michael Schurter

Jul 23, 2009, 8:21:39 PM7/23/09
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Rami Kassab<ra...@typethink.com> wrote:
> All, I would recommend you try finding a different host. We have a few
> clients on WebFaction and they're site load considerably slower than sites
> hosted on Slicehost for example. WebFaction has a great setup but their
> network has latency issues in my opinion. Have you guys set your minds on
> WebFaction or are alternatives still open for discussion?

I <3 Linode: http://www.linode.com

I'm sure Slicehost is great as well. I've just never had a reason to
try anything other than Linode.

I'd love to help with sysadmining the server if that kind of help is needed.

As a high profile non-profit site, Linode might cut you a deal too.
Don't hesitate to contact them. They lent me a nice virtual server
for my OS Bridge talk. :-)

(Again, just my $0.02. I think I've heard recommendations and
warnings for just about every hosting company out there.)

Rami Kassab

Jul 23, 2009, 8:27:59 PM7/23/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
Linode is also very good. I'm simply recommending something other than WebFaction because we've had many complaints about it's speed :( It's a shame because I really like their management interface and how apps are mounted. It's not difficult to setup a server for hosting a Django app if the server is Ubuntu. It takes about 20 mins for a quick setup and a bit longer to lock down the server. Might be worth looking into Slicehost or Linode for this site...

--
Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
ra...@typethink.com
LinkedIn Profile

Typethink - Creative Web Firm
P 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Portland, OR 97204
www.typethink.com

Michael Bunsen

Jul 24, 2009, 6:48:14 PM7/24/09
to Urban Edibles Website Development
I've had good experiences with Webfaction and Slicehost, and heard
only good about Linode.

I like how much maintenance and security issues Webfaction takes off
your hands, but I'm willing to go with Slicehost or Linode if you are
willing to help with sysadmining (Michael S).

Our biggest issue is cost. I have been sharing a Slicehost account
that I use for some other small clients. I am willing to pay for a
Shared 1 Webfaction account out of pocket, but probably not a VPS. I
would love if we were able to get a grant or sponsorship for hosting.
I'll try and contact Linode to see what they would offer (good tip
schmichael!)

Rick, sounds like you and I are the Webfaction fans, what are your
thoughts?

There is also App Engine...

Michael

On Jul 23, 5:21 pm, Michael Schurter <michael.schur...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Rami Kassab<r...@typethink.com> wrote:
> > All, I would recommend you try finding a differenthost. We have a few

Rami Kassab

Jul 24, 2009, 7:11:09 PM7/24/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
The main issue with both Slicehost and Linode is the very limited amount of bandwidth they offer. As for setting up the machines, I'd be willing to help if Michael S. can't. Done that so many times that I can do it in my sleep now :)

Again, I urge you guys to stay away from WebFaction. It's just too damn slow. I don't know how Linode is but Slicehost is one of the fastest hosts I've ever used... and we've tried a lot trust me. If the price difference isn't much between Linode and Slicehost, I'd recommend Slicehost because they're backed by Rackspace now, which is a HUGE host. They're also very lenient on the bandwidth they allow you. Even if you go over, they wont charge you most of the time, which is good for a project like this. It looks like Linode gives you a bit more memory than Slicehost does for the same price though. The memory for a Django app is important. 256 MB will be JUST enough. We've had some smaller sites require more though. So Linode's 360 MB plan would suffice for this project.

I'm preparing the local_settings package and will upload it ASAP. Thanks!

--
Rami Kassab - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
ra...@typethink.com
LinkedIn Profile

Typethink - Creative Web Firm
P 503.626.6231
F 503.626.6233
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Portland, OR 97204
www.typethink.com

Michael Schurter

Jul 24, 2009, 7:37:43 PM7/24/09
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Rami Kassab<ra...@typethink.com> wrote:
> The main issue with both Slicehost and Linode is the very limited amount of
> bandwidth they offer. As for setting up the machines, I'd be willing to help
> if Michael S. can't. Done that so many times that I can do it in my sleep
> now :)
> Again, I urge you guys to stay away from WebFaction. It's just too damn
> slow. I don't know how Linode is but Slicehost is one of the fastest hosts
> I've ever used... and we've tried a lot trust me. If the price difference
> isn't much between Linode and Slicehost, I'd recommend Slicehost because
> they're backed by Rackspace now, which is a HUGE host. They're also very
> lenient on the bandwidth they allow you. Even if you go over, they wont
> charge you most of the time, which is good for a project like this. It looks
> like Linode gives you a bit more memory than Slicehost does for the same
> price though. The memory for a Django app is important. 256 MB will be JUST
> enough. We've had some smaller sites require more though. So Linode's 360 MB
> plan would suffice for this project.

Linode is lenient on bandwidth too and you can easily upgrade your
account at any time.

If you're going to use Geodjango (which you'll probably want to), it
requires the PostGIS Postgresql extension to be installed. Unless
WebFaction offers that, a VPS is probably your only choice.

Rami Kassab

Jul 24, 2009, 7:38:37 PM7/24/09
to urbanedi...@googlegroups.com
Good point :)