Building Power in Place: A Municipalist Organizing Toolkit

Yvonne Yen Liu

Jul 1, 2024, 3:01:16 PMJul 1
to 'Esteban Kelly' via connect-nec, resis...@kola.groups.io, ISE Discussion List, Municipalism Network, Municipalism Learning Series Partners, Mentors, Solidarity Research Collective, Organizers of Los Angeles People's Movement Assembly, Los Angeles Rising Study Group, blair taylor via Ise-board, Radical Ecological Democracy list, tni-fel...@tni-e-lists.org, lr...@groups.io, Democracy Beyond Elections Coalition, Militant Research Network, 'D. Rosen' via People Powered Members, resear...@participatorybudgeting.org, 'Pettit, Kathryn' via Urban-NNIPNews
Please share far and wide!

Building Power in Place: A Municipalist Organizing Toolkit presents a snapshot of the praxis and theory of various place-based movements we describe as radical municipalist: a vision that our movements can destroy the hegemonic structures that rule over us and replace them with alternatives based on direct democracy and the solidarity economy. This toolkit provides tools and practices to share with fellow organizers, community members, and comrades. Our intended audience is people seeking cultivated space to think through questions around place-based organizing strategy.

Maybe the term municipalism is new to you, maybe it is familiar. Regardless of your familiarity, we invite you to think deeply about the ways that you are already using many of these theories and practices in your movement work.

While you can work through this toolkit from start to finish, many sections can stand alone. Refer to the table of contents to jump to the topics, exercises, and case studies that best suit your current needs and organizing moment. Please take what feels useful to you from this toolkit and leave the rest. You know your organizing context best and you’ll know if something is or is not applicable to your local environment.

Download the toolkit and accompanying workbook at https://municipalism.org/project/building-power-in-place-a-municipalist-organizing-toolkit/

🎉 Join us on July 6th for the launch of Building Power in Place: A Municipalist Organizing Toolkit! This downloadable toolkit offers strategies for place-based organizing drawn from real-life experiences and the Municipalism Learning Series curriculum. Learn how to challenge oppressive structures and build community through direct democracy and the solidarity economy.

🗓️ Date: July 6th, 2024
🕛 Time: 9 am - 10:30 am PT / 12 pm - 1:30 pm ET
Register now at https://municipalism.org

In this virtual release panel, we will share the toolkit, hear from toolkit contributors about their experience, and explore how to use these materials in your own place. A panel geared towards a broader audience will be scheduled on September 17th (the anniversary of Occupy Wall Street).

See you there!
MLS Toolkit_PublicationCover-v2.png
Base-IG_6.9.png