Applications open: Civic Switchboard Institutes in Pittsburgh, PA and Chapel Hill, NC - all library staff are eligible

Pettit, Kathryn

Feb 5, 2024, 10:50:14 AMFeb 5
to urban-n...@googlegroups.com

Sharing this great opportunity from our friends/partner at Pittsburgh running Civic Switchboard.  Please share with your local libraries!   All library workers based in the United States are eligible to apply – whether from public, academic, government, or another type of library.

If your library needs an introduction to the role they can play in the local data ecosystem, they can also check out these super-practical guides.

Best,

-Kathy

******

Hello to all!

The Civic Switchboard project team is pleased to announce that applications are open for two of our upcoming regional institutes on civic data work in libraries! Apply to join us in Pittsburgh or Chapel Hill! Through the support of the IMLS, travel honoraria are available to offset travel expenses.

Throughout 2024, we are partnering with colleagues across the United States to host six regional and one online Civic Switchboard Institutes. There are several goals of the Institutes, including:

  • To expand a community of practice focused on libraries and civic data and connect regional library workers;
  • To support participants in understanding their civic data ecosystem and potential roles for their libraries;
  • To connect participants with exemplars of library civic data intermediary work by featuring the work of host sites;
  • To foster critical data literacies through engagement with topics in civic data that speak to power, social justice, and responsible data practices to mitigate harms.

The first Civic Switchboard Institute will be in Pittsburgh, PA on April 18-19. Apply using the Pittsburgh application form

We'll then be heading to Chapel Hill, NC on May 13-14. Apply using the Chapel Hill application form

Applications for Boston, Portland (OR), South Bend, Houston, and online institutes will open in upcoming months.

Please reach out to civic-sw...@pitt.edu for any questions.

Best,

Nora Mattern

School of Computing and Information