Harris Hill Saturday

James Kolynich

Jul 3, 2022, 9:01:26 AM7/3/22
to Upstate NY Free Flyers
Zowie!
I didn't think the flying was going to fair well. It was raining from a local cell as I was loading my Hg on the pickup truck.
Met Oded and Chris in the LZ at 2:15 PM .  It was blowing 5-7 mph under cloudy skies.
We all started setting up our flying machines hoping for soaring conditions to slowly improve.
Chris T was first off followed by Bill S. in their PG at 3:30 PM. The flights lasted 18 and 11minutes respectively.
Around 5 PM the sunshine powered wind and thermal activity started to increase our
chances of soaring.
HG Rob S was first off at 5:20 PM followed by HG Chris T. They waxed the ridge up to 200 feet above and at launch level until conditions improved allowing them to gain more altitude.
It was my turn as a rocketed out of launch at 6 PM quickly gaining altitude in my Sport 3
135. We were turning in small thermals and gaining altitude following lift lines upwind.
Rob and I caught a nice one at 6:16 taking it to 2756 feet MSL or 1100 ft over.
IT was PG Bill's turn again as the wind smoothed out a bit at 6:25 PM.
Rob flew past the sailplane runway and in back over the cell tower just making it
back to the West ridge.
Chris had a nice landing near the bullseye as the wonder wind glass off began.
His flight time was 1hr and 10 min. JK was next with an aircraft approach with
one go around and a nice landing in the keyhole. A flight time of 1 hour and 3 minutes.
PG Bill S got 500 feet over and 1 hour of airtime. Air hog for the day Rob S got 2 hours and 11 minutes and ended his flight with another good landing in the keyhole.
We celebrate our successful flights with Bill's home brewed beer in the LZ and dinner
at Tags.
Oded did not fly his Atos as there was a problem with his old harness rubbing
the base bar with a prelaunch hang check. He was kind enough to drive my truck down to the LZ. See you tomorrow.