Indian Cliffs 7/9 Flight Report

chris toomey

Jul 10, 2022, 9:24:25 AM7/10/22
to RAF, Upstate NY free Flyers
It was a nice day at the cliffs. When we arrived around 2 it was blowing mostly straight in around 8-12 with some stronger cycles. 5 HG pilots came out . First off at 3:30 was“ SkyKing “ Skinner, followed Dave P, Bill V, Pat M and myself. The air was rowdy and turbulent at times with sharp, punchy thermals. Flights ranged from 1:15 min to 2:30 min with max altitude about 3500 MSL. Having had our fill, we all chose to land around 6 pm. The eagles were out in force, and seemed to enjoy the day as much as we did. Jim K observed the flying from Draht Hill……. Watching us thru binoculars. He graciously offered Uber service back to the top for vehicle retrieves. Beer and burgers were enjoyed at Tags after. The flying has been good so far this season. Get out and get some! Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Vickery

Jul 11, 2022, 7:23:12 AM7/11/22
to chris toomey, RAF, Upstate NY free Flyers
I'll add, several eagles were out flying close with us, and everyone landed near the center of Jim's mowed runway.  Pat was managing the bullets coming into the ridge with his falcon, with anothet long flight, reporting it wasn't that bad.
His bump tolerance is apparently high and he is eager to start snagging mid day thermals.

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022, 9:24 AM 'chris toomey' via Upstate NY Free Flyers <upstate-ny-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
     It was a nice day at the cliffs.  When we arrived around 2 it was blowing mostly straight in around 8-12 with some stronger cycles.  5 HG pilots came out .  First off at 3:30 was“ SkyKing “ Skinner, followed Dave P, Bill V, Pat M and myself.  The air was rowdy and turbulent at times with sharp, punchy thermals.  Flights ranged from 1:15 min to 2:30 min with max altitude about 3500 MSL.  Having had our fill, we all chose to land around 6 pm.  The eagles were out in force, and seemed to enjoy the day as much as we did.  Jim K observed the flying from Draht Hill……. Watching us thru binoculars.  He graciously offered Uber service back to the top for vehicle retrieves.  Beer and burgers were enjoyed at Tags after.  The flying has been good so far this season.  Get out and get some!   Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Skinner

Jul 11, 2022, 11:14:18 AM7/11/22
to Bill Vickery, chris toomey, RAF, Upstate NY free Flyers
Mid day thermals ...
Next thing you know people are going to want to do XC ...
Where will it end ...

--

Rob