macos: mounting upspinfs on /u

s...@aljmz.com

Nov 2, 2020, 7:15:36 AM11/2/20
to Upspin
i thought macos catalina's read-only root meant i couldn't use a directory like /u for upspinfs, but it turns out there's a workaround called synthetic.conf(5). posting this here in case anyone, like me, was not aware.

$ echo 'u Volumes/Upspin' >> /etc/synthetic.conf
$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/Upspin && sudo chown $USER /Volumes/Upspin
$ /System/Library/Filesystems/apfs.fs/Contents/Resources/apfs.util -B # or reboot
$ ls -l /u
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Oct 31 12:57 /u -> Volumes/Upspin
$ upspinfs /u &
$ ls /u/au...@upspin.io
Access Group Images Security Team

synthetic.conf can just create an empty directory at /u instead of a symlink, but it'll be owned by root and i couldn't figure out how to change that. so symlink it is.

David Presotto

Nov 3, 2020, 12:17:54 AM11/3/20
to salmān aljammāz, Upspin
Thanks for the solution.  The catalina protections have been driving me batty.