Suffixed user can not do anything - ideas?

Filip Filmar

Jan 28, 2024, 12:09:07 AMJan 28
to Upspin
HI folks.

I'm back experimenting with my upspin server. I was led to believe that I could create a suffixed user as follows:

$ upspin createsuffixeduser f+...@hdlfactory.com

However, after doing so, the resulting user can not really do anything. The user's root does not exist:

╰─>$ upspin -config=$HOME/upspin/config.www ls f+...@hdlfactory.com
upspin: ls: client.Lookup: f+...@hdlfactory.com: item does not exist:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Lookup:
dir/server.Lookup:
user f+...@hdlfactory.com:
no root for user

Admin is not lucky either:

╰─>$ upspin  ls f+...@hdlfactory.com
upspin: ls: client.Lookup: f+...@hdlfactory.com: information withheld:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Lookup:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Lookup:
dir/server.Lookup: f+...@hdlfactory.com/

Server has:

$ cat Writers | grep www
f+...@hdlfactory.com

The +www user can't create their own root:
╰─>$ upspin -config=$HOME/upspin/config.www mkdir f+...@hdlfactory.com
upspin: mkdir: client.MakeDirectory: f+...@hdlfactory.com/: permission denied:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Put:
serverutil/perm.Put: user f+...@hdlfactory.com: user not authorized

Admin can't either:
╰─>$ upspin  mkdir f+...@hdlfactory.com
upspin: mkdir: client.MakeDirectory: f+...@hdlfactory.com/: information withheld:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Put:
dir/remote("upspin.hdlfactory.com:443").Put:
dir/server.Put: f+...@hdlfactory.com/

Is this even supposed to work? Searching for [upspin suffixeduser] isn't much help.

(I also had the suffixed user be unable to read known existing dirs, but that seems to have cleared itself up.)

Thanks,

Rodrigo Schio

Jan 29, 2024, 10:43:07 PMJan 29
to Upspin

It's a long time since I created a suffixed user, so I may be wrong...

After creating the user you need to create the user's root like you tried, using the suffixed user config.
The error message you received when trying to create the root seems to be a Writers error.

Check this page: https://upspin.io/doc/faq.md on section "How do I add a family member to my Upspin installation?" to see if your Writers file
is correctly configured and then try to create the root again.

Filip Filmar

Jan 29, 2024, 11:10:43 PMJan 29
to Rodrigo Schio, Upspin
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 7:43 PM Rodrigo Schio <rodrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
After creating the user you need to create the user's root like you tried, using the suffixed user config.
The error message you received when trying to create the root seems to be a Writers error.

Check this page: https://upspin.io/doc/faq.md on section "How do I add a family member to my Upspin installation?" to see if your Writers file
is correctly configured and then try to create the root again.

My Writers file seems sane (as I have noted above, but I guess groups garbled the output a bit):

$ cat Writers | grep www

Rodrigo Schio

Jan 30, 2024, 10:58:50 PMJan 30
to Upspin

Yes, I expressed myself badly, what I meant was to check if the Writers file is in the correct location, when I tried to change it I was looking in my user's directory tree, but the file should be in ups...@example.com/Group/Writers.

This command should show who can write on your server:
```
upspin -config=$HOME/upspin/deploy/hdlfactory.com/config get ups...@hdlfactory.com/Group/Writers
```

If this command returns your suffixed user I don't know what is the problem, sorry.