dir.upspin.io not found

Özgür Kesim

Jan 19, 2024, 1:32:17 PMJan 19
to Upspin
Hi upspin fellas,

Lately, I get many DNS-lookup errors in my journal for `dir.upspin.io`:

upspinfs[4241]: rpc.Invoke: Post "https://dir.upspin.io:443/api/Dir/Watch": dial tcp: lookup dir.upspin.io: no such host

While `upspin.io` and `key.upspin.io` have entries, `dir.upspin.io` does not.

Is this a DNS problem on the upspin.io side? Or is a software I use too old and still uses outdated hostnames? (Or both?)

Cheers,
oec

Eric Grosse

Jan 19, 2024, 1:43:08 PMJan 19
to Upspin
There is no dir.upspin.io, as far as I know. Are you referring to upspin.io/doc/arch.md? There the machine name is like upspin.example.com or camera.example.net, also mentioned in the doc but not existing in reality.

As best I recall, all the references to dir.upspin.io in key.upspin.io/log were placeholders while setting up new accounts, replaced by actual dirservers once the account was fully operational.

Or perhaps my memory is fading that there really is supposed to be such a machine? Happy to be enlightened.

Rodrigo Schio

Jan 19, 2024, 1:55:41 PMJan 19
to Upspin
I think dir.upspin.io is used by au...@upspin.io/. When I run the upspin-ui I have the same problem, I cannot acces the augie dir.

Eric Grosse

Jan 19, 2024, 2:00:18 PMJan 19
to Upspin
Ok, then I'll leave this for Andrew to answer in Australian timezone.

Andrew Gerrand

Jan 21, 2024, 6:37:37 PMJan 21
to Eric Grosse, Upspin
dir.upspin.io and store.upspin.io were shut down last year, as they were only in limited use (augie's account being one of those uses). If we have docs or processes that refer to au...@upspin.io's tree we should change them.