upspinfs with Tom's patches

David Presotto

Mar 7, 2022, 12:06:38 PM3/7/22
to Tom Lieber, Upspin
github.com/presotto/fuse incorporates your patches to make fuse work on BigSur and beyond.  I added them in such a way that it should continue to work with earlier macos versions messy looking though it is (have to first figure out what flavor macos is running).  Upspinfs now uses it.

Sorry it took so long.  I pretty much completely stopped programming after I retired.  Just started again to see how lazy my brain has become.  Not just lazy but in a coma I think.

Now I'm looking at trying non FUSE solutions also since apple still has its hands firmly on the rug waiting to pull it out again.  I don't blame tv for withdrawing macos support since it does make support harder and he only has one life to live.  I at least made the changes to a 4 years newer version that we had been using.  If anyone sees any fuse changes made since April 2020 that they think are important, I'll merge them in.

Gurjant Kalsi

Apr 4, 2022, 2:26:59 AM4/4/22
to Upspin
Hi David,

Happy to see that you're still hacking on the project! :)

As luck would have it I just tried installing upspin on a fresh install of Ubuntu 21.10 on a Raspberry Pi and I found that `upspinfs` was failing with the following error:

2022/04/04 06:22:53 mount helper error: fusermount: unknown option 'fssubtype=fs'
2022/04/04 06:22:53.563639 fuse.Mount failed: fusermount: exit status 1

I noticed that some changes had recently gone in pertaining to upspinfs / fuse and tried syncing back to a5a727d which made everything work for me again.
I didn't have time to debug exactly why the recent changed broke my particular system but I did want to surface this on the mailing list just in case.

Cheers!
Kalsi