key.upspin.io unreachable again?

Tom Lieber

Sep 10, 2022, 12:39:48 AM9/10/22
to Upspin
Or is it just me?

Rene Kaufmann

Sep 11, 2022, 9:09:49 AM9/11/22
to Tom Lieber, Upspin
Yep, seems to be unreachable.

Tom Lieber <all...@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 10. Sept. 2022, 06:39:
Or is it just me?

Eric Grosse

Sep 11, 2022, 9:20:08 AM9/11/22
to Rene Kaufmann, Tom Lieber, Upspin
The machine itself is up and I see https://key.upspin.io/log just
fine, but I'm not familiar enough yet with its configuration to debug
further; that will have to wait for Andrew.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upspin/CAOtKaxAdyRZhg4pXAk4n_%3Dt%3D%2Bz9QhieM%3DxmQFcjfDLyLGc3pCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Rene Kaufmann

Sep 11, 2022, 10:50:13 AM9/11/22
to Eric Grosse, Tom Lieber, Upspin
Ah, now i can see https://key.upspin.io/log just fine. Was probably just my flaky mobile Network.

Andrew Gerrand

Sep 11, 2022, 8:07:15 PM9/11/22
to Rene Kaufmann, Eric Grosse, Tom Lieber, Upspin
Nope it was certainly down - the machine had become unresponsive, and so I gave it hard reset and it started working again (yay stateless VMs).
It is puzzling why it was down, though. I haven't had a chance to dig into the logs, but when I first checked there wasn't anything noteworthy there.
Maybe something is wrong with how the machine is configured - the keyserver runs in a Docker container running on Container Optimized OS.
I'm not sure why it should lock up like that. I think there might be some permissions issue exporting metrics to the cloud monitoring stuff, so maybe that's piling up and choking the machine? Seems a poor default though.
I will investigate more this evening.

In the meantime I did set up some more alerting so that I will be notified immediately if the service stops responding. Apologies for the outage.

Andrew