Cannot create account

Brandon Ryan

Dec 13, 2020, 5:33:08 AM12/13/20
to Upspin
I am trying to create an upspin account but am not getting an email confirmation. I have checked my spam folder and confirmed my email provider is not blocking the email.

The email I am trying to use is 'bjry...@protonmail.com'
It doesnt appear anywhere else in the upspin keyserver log so afaik its never been used.

I think there is something subtle going on here and any help would be much appreciated.

David Presotto

Dec 13, 2020, 2:10:47 PM12/13/20
to Brandon Ryan, Upspin
What command did you use, upspin-ui or upspin signup?

David Presotto

Dec 13, 2020, 2:12:39 PM12/13/20
to Brandon Ryan, Upspin
Also what OS did you do this from?

Brandon Ryan

Dec 13, 2020, 3:21:08 PM12/13/20
to Upspin
I tried both the ui and the command line with the same result.
Using macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

More info: I tested to make sure i got the email on another protonmail account with a @pm.me address and it worked with that one.

David Presotto

Dec 13, 2020, 4:45:16 PM12/13/20
to Brandon Ryan, Upspin
Don't slap me for asking but could it have ended up classified as spam?  Hopefully someone with access to the key server can see what is going on.

Brandon Ryan

Dec 13, 2020, 5:09:23 PM12/13/20
to Upspin
Its not in my spam folder. I created an explicit rule to accept all mail from

Eric Grosse

Dec 13, 2020, 5:13:24 PM12/13/20
to Brandon Ryan, Upspin
Andrew found a server log message
        protonmail.com: "550 5.7.1 Rejected by spam filter"

He'll update the list when he has a more definitive answer, just relaying what we know so far...

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 2:09 PM Brandon Ryan <bjry...@gmail.com> wrote:
Its not in my spam folder. I created an explicit rule to accept all mail from

Andrew Gerrand

Dec 13, 2020, 5:20:08 PM12/13/20
to Eric Grosse, Brandon Ryan, Upspin
I don't have any more definitive answers. Protonmail is blocking our messages, and that's the error they report to SendGrid. There's no more information on our end.

Brandon Ryan

Dec 13, 2020, 5:32:01 PM12/13/20
to Andrew Gerrand, Eric Grosse, Upspin
Ok, thank you.

Brandon Ryan

Dec 21, 2020, 2:04:31 PM12/21/20
to Upspin
Alright, so after a few back and forth emails with protonmail, they said that the ip address is on a number of block lists, so they filter it out. So pretty much im sol until the ip gets removed i think?
Here is a link to the website they sent me.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a167.89.55.59&run=toolpage

Eric Grosse

Dec 21, 2020, 2:21:44 PM12/21/20
to Brandon Ryan, Upspin
Fighting spam and abuse can be a very expensive task, not least because of adjudicating disputes. We might have chosen token payments instead of automated email verification as our registration filter, but that would have been even less anonymous and more problematic.

We don't use the email address for anything except one-time verification, so you're welcome to register an arbitrary domain name or briefly borrow a user id on some friend's domain, forward mail from there to your protonmail account, register an upspin key, then stop the mail forwarding if you want.

Brandon Ryan

Dec 21, 2020, 2:28:13 PM12/21/20
to Upspin
Yeah I was just hoping to use that email for my sharing stuff. I guess I have no choice, oh well. Thanks for the help either way