Who uses upspin and for what?

Hein Meling

May 12, 2022, 4:33:53 AM5/12/22
to Upspin
Hi all!
I've been aware of the project since it was announced and just reread the manifesto, but never found the time to really try it out myself... I skimmed a few messages on the mailing list, but nothing that really answered my question:

What are you using Upspin for? Personal storage? Sharing files? Anyone using Upspin in their own software / system architecture for sharing between systems and users?

My primary research area is fault tolerance (redundancy and consistency) -- is this aspect covered in Upspin and if so where can I read more?

All the best,
:) Hein

Albert-Jan de Vries

Jul 4, 2022, 4:23:38 PM7/4/22
to Upspin
Hi Hein,

I used it for file sharing and a project that runs scripts against the data in an upspin storage server. The data is healthcare related, so encryption is important. I run several backups, because the store server never deletes blocks (unless I clean it up) I can retrieve older versions of files and even deleted files.

I worked on a redundant file store server, but didn't complete it. It is possible to run the store server against something like minio, and it is possible to run minio on a redundant setup.

-- AJ

Ged Wed

Apr 12, 2023, 6:17:31 AM4/12/23
to Upspin
Hey

Using it this way is exactly what i want to do

do you have a repo showing how to set it up this way AJ ?

cheers

Gerard

Albert-Jan de Vries

May 23, 2023, 8:56:07 AM5/23/23
to Upspin
Hi Gerard,

Not exactly, it is a private setup, but we can have a talk about it?

-- AJ

Ged Wed

May 23, 2023, 10:26:47 AM5/23/23
to Albert-Jan de Vries, Upspin