Upper Douglass awarded a $136K grant!

William Weil

Oct 25, 2011, 5:20:28 PM10/25/11
to UpperD...@googlegroups.com
To all Friends of Upper Douglass Dog Park:

It's official!  Upper Douglass Dog Park has been awarded a Community Opportunity Fund grant of $136,171 to improve drainage and irrigation and to survey all the trees for possible pruning or removal and replanting.  We do not have a schedule yet but we can expect at least several months of design and project planning before anything visible happens.

The
Community Opportunity Fund is the result of a $4 million bond issue passed in 2008 for park improvements that have neighborhood support.  To get an award a community group such as FUDDP must submit an application and demonstrate need plus community support through fund-raising, volunteer hours and neighborhood endorsements.

As part of the application, FUDDP pledged $17,000 that we raised at previous Dogtoberfests, for a total project budget of $153,171.  We also documented the volunteer hours for clean-up days, Dogtoberfests, native plant garden and other activities.  Thanks to everyone who helped with these activities.  Thanks also to all the neighborhood merchants who showed their support by donating to Dogtoberfest raffle and auction prizes and to Supervisor Scott Wiener who supported our application.

We won this award because of your efforts and the efforts of literally hundreds of people over the past five years to improve and maintain the park.  The results have been the fountain, the fence and now this award.  But we are not done.  As the park becomes more desirable and more people use the park, we have to educate the newcomers to the proper use of the park and proper etiquette for both people and dogs.