Using update engine in Python applications

rgravina

Jan 5, 2009, 11:51:01 PM1/5/09
to update-engine
I'm developing a wxPython application and looking around for any
frameworks/libraries which might help in updating the application and
the Update Engine looks good.

Do you think it would be accessible from Python with something like
PyObjC?

Also, my application is intended to be cross-platform and ideally
users should be able to update their software in the same way
regardless of platform (at least from the user interface... under the
hood the platforms would update differently of course, possibly using
completely different methods to do this)

Does anyone know of similar frameworks for Windows and Linux and/or
cross-platform frameworks?

John Grabowski

Jan 7, 2009, 6:09:32 PM1/7/09
to update...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert.  You have two choices.  One is as you suggested; make a bundle or framework from update-engine, then access it from the PyObjC bridge (e.g. objc.initFrameworkWrapper() or objc.loadBundle()).  I don't have a lot of experience with the PyObjC bridge so I can't offer much more help.

Another option is to use a command line program, such as the EngineRunner example, and call it from python with subprocess.Popen().  As I'm sure you know, it is very easy to run tasks and parse their output with python.

devjrg