Possible to update .mpkg files?

mikael

Dec 3, 2008, 12:58:11 PM12/3/08
to update-engine
I having a .mpkg. is it possible to embedded the update-engine into
the .mpkg
and have it run as a preflightscript when installing the .mpkg?
And then download new version as a .dmg file when newer file is found?

Mark Dalrymple

Dec 3, 2008, 1:04:35 PM12/3/08
to update-engine
That should work. You can call EnginerRunner in your script to do the
downloading and running of the dmg. Be sure to test it. I'm not sure
how happy Apple's installer would be if it's installing one package,
and then during that package's installation, another package of the
same stuff is installed along the way (if that makes sense :-)

Cheers,
++md

Greg Miller

Dec 3, 2008, 1:10:36 PM12/3/08
to update...@googlegroups.com
Yes. You can call EngineRunner from one of your install scripts to check and see if there's a new version of the package that's installing. Actually, this is exactly how MacFUSE's autoinstaller works (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/AUTOINSTALL). MacFUSE uses a binary called "autoinstaller" because it predates the EngineRunner command. But MacFUSE's autoinstaller binary compiles in the Update Engine sources and basically does just want EngineRunner does. Take a look at how MacFUSE uses its autoinstaller (you'd likely use EngineRunner) from its mpkg.

HTH,
G~