does the plist file require hash/size?

rzaidi

Nov 4, 2008, 12:39:20 AM11/4/08
to update-engine
Just starting out with using update-engine...I was wondering does the
plist file that goes on the server require a hash setting and a size
setting?? or are those optional?? trying to make this simple for
testing and would prefer to not have to bother with that for testing
purposes...

thanks, raza

Greg Miller

Nov 4, 2008, 1:57:57 AM11/4/08
to update-engine
They are required. However, these values are very easy to calculate.
Just write a small shell script to spit out your server plist for you.
Getting the DMG's size is trivial, and the hash can be calculated with
"openssl sha1 -binary <dmg>| openssl base64". See
http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/PlistServerConfiguration
for more details.

Oh, one more thing that can make testing a lot easier: use file: URLs
for testing rather than http(s): URLs. This can make testing a lot
simpler and faster because all your files (including the server plist)
can sit locally on your machine.

HTH,
G~

rzaidi

Nov 5, 2008, 11:31:11 AM11/5/08
to update-engine
thanks, Greg...yeah, we ended up writing a small script..no big
deal...update-engine works like a charm...

ciao, raza