Handling *.rpm packages

jbj

Sep 30, 2008, 10:23:36 AM9/30/08
to update-engine
I'd like to see the update-engine handle RPM packages.

If that functionality is of interest, then please poke an RFE to
<rpm-...@rpm5.org>
and I'll be happy to assist with the effort.

Jeff Johnson <j...@rpm5.org>

Greg Miller

Sep 30, 2008, 1:39:24 PM9/30/08
to update...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:23 AM, jbj <n3np...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to see the update-engine handle RPM packages.

If that functionality is of interest, then please poke an RFE to
  <rpm-...@rpm5.org>
and I'll be happy to assist with the effort.

Actually, that should work today. When Update Engine detects a new version of your product (which is installed via rpm), it will download the new software on a disk image, mount the disk image, and run the .engine_install script at the root of that dmg. That .engine_install script could then use "rpm" to install the new software.

Is that what you were asking for?

G~

Jeff Johnson

Sep 30, 2008, 4:11:37 PM9/30/08
to update...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Greg Miller wrote:

Is that what you were asking for?

Not quite, but perhaps enuf.

Let me ask the question a different way:

    What are the formats (like *.dmg) that update-engine can handle?

Apologies for not (yet) studying update-engine code & doco ...

73 de Jeff

Greg Miller

Sep 30, 2008, 6:39:06 PM9/30/08
to update-engine

On Sep 30, 1:11 pm, Jeff Johnson <n3npq....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Greg Miller wrote:
>

> > Is that what you were asking for?
>
> Not quite, but perhaps enuf.
>
> Let me ask the question a different way:
>
>      What are the formats (like *.dmg) that update-engine can handle?

Update Engine currently requires downloads ("Codebase" in the server
plist) to be dmgs. But this is just a way to package up things,
similar to tar, zip, etc. We like dmgs because they contain
filesystems and can be mounted read-only after we verify the integrity
of the dmg.

Of course, there's no technical limitation preventing support for zip
files or even rpms, if there was such a need.

HTH,
G~

Jeff Johnson

Sep 30, 2008, 9:16:49 PM9/30/08
to update...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 30, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Greg Miller wrote:

> On Sep 30, 1:11 pm, Jeff Johnson <n3npq....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Greg Miller wrote:
>>

>>> Is that what you were asking for?
>>
>> Not quite, but perhaps enuf.
>>
>> Let me ask the question a different way:
>>
>> What are the formats (like *.dmg) that update-engine can handle?
>
> Update Engine currently requires downloads ("Codebase" in the server
> plist) to be dmgs. But this is just a way to package up things,
> similar to tar, zip, etc. We like dmgs because they contain
> filesystems and can be mounted read-only after we verify the integrity
> of the dmg.

So dmg only atm. Perhaps a FUSE mounted rpm package would be best.

> Of course, there's no technical limitation preventing support for zip
> files or even rpms, if there was such a need.

Yup.

73 de Jeff