Re: Converting decimals to the posit format

John Gustafson

Aug 1, 2023, 4:40:45 PM8/1/23
to Keerthana Menon, Unum Computing
Keerthana,

I have just what you need, because I recently drafted the chapter of my next book that covers this and describes the algorithm in pseudo-code and walks through an example. I'll attach the excerpt of the chapter that has the material. Also, if you can read Mathematica code, I can send you a very well-tested routine for converting numbers (any format) into posit format.

John

EBC-Chapter3excerpt.pdf

Keerthana Menon

Aug 2, 2023, 8:44:53 AM8/2/23
to John Gustafson, Unum Computing
Thank you so much for replying and for the book chapter PDF. Things are much clearer now!

On Jul 31, 2023, at 2:12 AM, Keerthana Menon <keerthan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to implement a posit adder and multiplier. However, I could not understand how decimals translate to posits (I understood the conversion from posits to decimals)
I figured out that the sign and fraction parts are similar to the IEEE 754 format, but I couldn't understand how to encode the regime and exponent.
Could you please explain how to do it?
Thank you