Why the ceiling in the pIntMax formula?

Lucien Grondin

Sep 19, 2023, 4:38:39 AM9/19/23
to Unum Computing
Hi.

I am a bit confused as to why in the 2022 standard there is a ceiling in the pIntMax formula:

pIntMax = pIntMax = ⌈2^⌊4*(n-3)/5⌋⌉

Isn't the power of two already an integer since the floor is used on the exponent?

John Gustafson

Sep 19, 2023, 10:03:25 AM9/19/23
to Lucien Grondin, Unum Computing
It looks like you caught a (harmless) error. Thanks. We did have a lot of discussion about the simplest way to express the formula. One of the ways put the ceiling function outside the exponential, but it was changed to use a floor function of just the exponent, and we forgot to then take off the ceiling function.

John