Share a happening....

Janet

Apr 29, 2006, 12:57:54 PM4/29/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com

For a lot of you, this is probably normal.  But for me I’m still amazed at myself when I do it right.  I’ve always been around very conservative, rigid homeschoolers, so I felt I was doing so good.  It was easy for me to be the mom that said yes the most.  But when I found this group, it was the other way around.  I realized how much I was still saying no.  I never saw that before.  Anyway, today:

I’m outside reading – we’ve been having beautiful weather, and my daughter is outside also.  She gets up, goes in and a little while later comes out with the TV.  Instantly, in my brain I hear TV’s don’t belong outside, it’ll get damage, etc.  I keep quiet.  She goes back in and returns with the DVD player.  It’s on the tip of my tongue, but I keep it there.  She sets it all up on a table, gets a big umbrella, her little sisters, and they are all happily watch The Matrix Reloaded, and I’m smiling.  So you know the old saying, “If you can’t beat them, join them.”  Best thing to do.  I’ve never in 45 years watched a movie outside.  How nice.  And one other thing.  Six years ago or so she wouldn’t have even thought of – no she might have thought it – but she never would have asked let alone just do it.  Today, she just did it like it was the most normal thing in the world.  I’m still smiling.  Nice day.  Thanks for letting me share.

Janet

www.xanga.com/searching_for_willoughby

Apr 29, 2006, 3:13:55 PM4/29/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
It's fun to know when it happens (kids're always thinking) rather than
cut off the avenue of experience with your kids.

What ds comes up with. The other day we "inherited" toys from cousins
who moved to FL ... push and ride cars, whatever those are called,
without pedals like in Flintstones. Ds likes me to push him while he
rides but his feet don't have a floor to rest on... I was concerned his
feet would drag under the car and he'd get hurt. He just propped them
on small protruding pieces of plastic right inside the doors on either
side that I couldn't see outside the car. Makes perfect sense now that
I *do* see.

The perspective of kids is literally out of range for adults,
physically and probably otherwise too. Stuff you never woulda thunk
from up here.

Kathe

amyLS

May 6, 2006, 1:54:31 AM5/6/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
Great story. What a nice feeling for you, keeping your mouth closed
and just watching! This Eastertime, I got tired of the egg-dying and
went outside to take a phonecall. One of my boys came out a while
later with an egg enclosed in wax. He had melted an old candle over a
double-boiler and dipped his egg into it. I opoened my mouth to say
'Whoa..wait a minute"... but then I just stopped. Yes, he got wax on
the linoleum, but his wax-egg was so cool!