Move the Group/Forum to Github Discussion?

dyingfor...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2020, 12:49:30 PM11/21/20
to unpoly
Hi,
would you consider to move the forum to github discussion? Github might be more convenient these days don't you think? Code and Support at one place and better syntax highlighting.

Just a thought.
Best, M

Thomas Güttler

Nov 26, 2020, 8:52:42 AM11/26/20
to unpoly
Can you edit a message after sending it in github discussion? Sometimes I write a message and one hour later I see
that something is missing. Being able to update the message would be nice.

Иван Грецкий

Nov 27, 2020, 8:53:13 AM11/27/20
to unpoly
I guess a better platform for discussions would be great for the project, making it easier to discover and participate.

I could not find a live example of github discussions, but here are other (open source) options to consider:

Thomas Güttler

Nov 27, 2020, 8:55:35 AM11/27/20
to unp...@googlegroups.com
I like discourse

Henning Koch

Nov 27, 2020, 9:31:32 AM11/27/20
to unp...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

a major motivation to use Google Groups was for me to have a method to
push out announcements about new versions. I only have a few major
announcements each year, so I cannot rely on users polling a site in the
hope for the occasional news.

Best regards
Henning

On 27.11.20 14:55, Thomas Güttler wrote:
> I like discourse
>
> Иван Грецкий <ivang...@gmail.com <mailto:ivang...@gmail.com>>
> schrieb am Fr., 27. Nov. 2020, 14:53:
>
> I guess a better platform for discussions would be great for the
> project, making it easier to discover and participate.
>
> I could not find a live example of github discussions, but here are
> other (open source) options to consider:
>
> * https://free.discourse.group/
> * https://www.freeflarum.com/
>

> On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 4:52:42 PM UTC+3
> til...@googlemail.com <mailto:til...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Can you edit a message after sending it in github discussion?
> Sometimes I write a message and one hour later I see
> that something is missing. Being able to update the message
> would be nice.
>
> dyingfor...@gmail.com schrieb am Samstag, 21. November 2020 um
> 18:49:30 UTC+1:
>
> Hi,
> would you consider to move the forum to github discussion?
> Github might be more convenient these days don't you think?
> Code and Support at one place and better syntax highlighting.
>
> One can apply in this
> thread: https://github.community/t/can-one-apply-for-github-discussions-beta/
>
> Just a thought.
> Best, M
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unpoly/CAKfo-ON53kBy7Rric729oQdC8_GqmFuJYFiVhD4rKhQxDX6qDA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unpoly/CAKfo-ON53kBy7Rric729oQdC8_GqmFuJYFiVhD4rKhQxDX6qDA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

dyingfor...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2020, 6:43:14 AM12/10/20
to unpoly
As a news channel, google groups seems to be fine, no question.
As for discussion or maybe asking the community for help, there are better options.
I wouldn't advice for hosting a forum yourself, because it's just technical debt, but since github is the center of development anyway, I think that would be the best place.
Stack Overflow with the [unpoly] tag would be ok too, but I fear it doesn't have enough traction there to get a question answered.
Just my opinion.

Here is the discussion board for Alpine: https://github.com/alpinejs/alpine/discussions