An update for Unpoly 2

randl...@googlemail.com

May 6, 2021, 10:59:29 AM5/6/21
to unpoly
Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to release Unpoly 2 in early 2021 as I hoped.

The TLDR is that documenting the new API turned out to be much more time-consuming than I thought. The other reason is that I invested additional time to test with real-world applications.

In early 2021 my work offered the opportunity to port a non-trivial app (140.000 lines of code) from Unpoly 0.62 to Unpoly 2. I had previously only ported a smaller app (~31.000 lines of code) so I was eager to see what I could learn. In retrospect this was a great decision that allowed me to squish many bugs that Unpoly's extensive unit tests didn't catch.

One of the signature changes in Unpoly 2 is that you can configure it to handle *all* links and forms by default. It turned out that a legacy application, built with full page loads in mind, has many edge cases where links did not like being handled by JavaScript. I invested a lot of time to make sure that this transition now works with minimal changes to the application code.

Some of you have noticed that there have already been a number of release candidates published to npm and RubyGems. We're currently on 2.0.0-rc8.

If you would like to play with the pre-releases you can find installation instructions and an unfinished API reference here: https://v2.unpoly.com

The best guide to the API changes is currently this slide deck:

There are no further changes to the API planned. The final version will be released as soon as the documentation is complete.

Best regards
Henning

szabesz

May 6, 2021, 11:14:11 AM5/6/21
to unpoly
Hello Henning,

Thank you for the update and all the hard work you share with us!

I am new to Unpoly and have been waiting for at least this pre-release of v2 to start learning how to use it. Using the CDN (https://v2.unpoly.com/install/cdn) is just enough to get started, correct?

Best Regards,
Szabesz

adam.me...@gmail.com

May 6, 2021, 12:29:04 PM5/6/21
to unpoly
This is fantastic, thanks Henning!

I'm hopeful that I can have the Rack and Roda adapters updated in the next few weeks to support the new API as well, as I'm eager to experiment with it in depth.

Cheers!

Henning Koch

May 6, 2021, 4:26:03 PM5/6/21
to unp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Szabesz,

yes, linking against the CDN ist a great way to test drive the library.

This will also work with the V2 pre-releases.

Best regards
Henning

On 06.05.21 17:14, szabesz wrote:
> Hello Henning,
>
> Thank you for the update and all the hard work you share with us!
>
> I am new to Unpoly and have been waiting for at least this pre-release
> of v2 to start learning how to use it. Using the CDN
> (https://v2.unpoly.com/install/cdn) is just enough to get started, correct?
>
> Best Regards,
> Szabesz
>
> On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 4:59:29 PM UTC+2 randl...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wasn't able to release Unpoly 2 in early 2021 as I hoped.
>
> The TLDR is that documenting the new API turned out to be *much*
> more time-consuming than I thought. The other reason is that I
> invested additional time to test with real-world applications.
>
> In early 2021 my work offered the opportunity to port a non-trivial
> app (140.000 lines of code) from Unpoly 0.62 to Unpoly 2. I had
> previously only ported a smaller app (~31.000 lines of code) so I
> was eager to see what I could learn. In retrospect this was a great
> decision that allowed me to squish many bugs that Unpoly's extensive
> unit tests didn't catch.
>
> One of the signature changes in Unpoly 2 is that you can configure
> it to handle *all* links and forms by default. It turned out that a
> legacy application, built with full page loads in mind, has many
> edge cases where links did not like being handled by JavaScript. I
> invested a lot of time to make sure that this transition now works
> with minimal changes to the application code.
>
> Some of you have noticed that there have already been a number of
> release candidates published to npm and RubyGems. We're currently on
> 2.0.0-rc8.
>
> If you would like to play with the pre-releases you can find
> installation instructions and an unfinished API reference here:
> https://v2.unpoly.com <https://v2.unpoly.com>
>
> The best guide to the API changes is currently this slide deck:
> http://triskweline.de/unpoly2-slides
> <http://triskweline.de/unpoly2-slides>
>
> There are no further changes to the API planned. The final version
> will be released as soon as the documentation is complete.
>
> Best regards
> Henning
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unpoly/6a4b0851-f289-411f-92a5-83fa4d4d07can%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unpoly/6a4b0851-f289-411f-92a5-83fa4d4d07can%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Иван Грецкий

May 9, 2021, 1:51:31 AM5/9/21
to unpoly
Great to hear Unpoly 2 is on its way and will be released well-tested in real world! I know that quite a lot of devs from around the globe are waiting for it. Thanks for your work!