N4456 on google docs

Michael Wong

Apr 14, 2015, 9:49:41 AM4/14/15
to unofficial-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I have posted N4456 on google docs so we can all edit a future revision of it
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdllzgrl4rLMn6jvV-AJB1Vp4p8l142iaj0RAtgEyAk/edit

Patrice Roy

May 28, 2015, 12:10:54 AM5/28/15
to unofficial-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'll let you judge if these deserve an edit or not in the document, but regarding N4526:

  • With respect to «Game developers want separate memory budgets for every subsystem, so there's no such thing as a "global" new», I've heard it from companies in other low-latency domains, particularly those that deal with real-time audio, that «global» new is a pain when composing an application from disjoint modules such as DLLs or SOs. There are workarounds, of course, but it complicates their task
  • One thing that game developers have told me they want to do is play with such things as the size of their threads' stacks; it seems to be standard practice in quite a few of the big name companies. On some OS' like Windows, this is done at thread startup. With standard C++ threads, there is not such service, and the native handle for a thread is not available until after thread construction (which makes sense), so this «normal» feature for them is not possible through standard utilities

Cheers!