Colext, uneven time periods

Griffin Dare

Jun 13, 2022, 1:32:56 PM6/13/22
to unmarked
Hi all,

Just started a new position and I'm analyzing a bit of an odd dataset in terms of the seasons. Amphibian surveys were done in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2018 and 2021 at 62 sites (usually 3 visits per year). Not sure if it was budget or time but surveys started out yearly but going forward are done every 3 years.

This is my first foray into dynamic models and my initial thought was that we'd have to throw out the 2010-2011 data and stick with a three year interval (2012, 2015, 2018, 2021). Our main goal is to look at occupancy trends over time.

One note, I'm actually doing this in stan_colext but don't think that matters in this context.

Thanks,
Griffin

Marc Kery

Jun 13, 2022, 1:57:39 PM6/13/22
to unmarked
Dear Griffin,

I'd fill in the data with missing values (for the missing years) to create balance and then use all the data. Always a pity to throw out valuable data. Filling in the missing years implicitly scales all the dynamic parameters to a one-year interval.

Best regards  -- Marc

Jun 13, 2022, 2:21:23 PM6/13/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the prompt reply. So by that do you mean simply adding NA's visits in missing years?

Griffin

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "unmarked" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unmarked/ZR0P278MB08695C9DB7DA2AFF00C24E3BEBAB9%40ZR0P278MB0869.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Marc Kery

Jun 13, 2022, 2:23:04 PM6/13/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, as simple as that

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 20:21
To: unma...@googlegroups.com <unma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [unmarked] Colext, uneven time periods

Griffin Dare

Jun 13, 2022, 2:24:55 PM6/13/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks, happy to be including that data!

Marc Kery

Jun 13, 2022, 2:25:59 PM6/13/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Would be a shame not to.

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 20:24

Marc Kery

Jul 12, 2022, 11:11:14 AM7/12/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Correction/addendum (comment by Jim Baldin):

"I'm going to argue that it isn't quite as simple as that.  If there are covariates for colonization or extinction in any of the completely missing years, then the covariate values need to be included and not set to missing.  It would only be the responses in the missing years (i.e., the associated values in y) that would be set to NA.  I assume that's what you meant but I'm not so sure that others might also assume that."

Yes, indeed, and thanks, Jim.

Marc