Occupancy models : random intercepts and plotting interactions

Dalida Dutoit

May 24, 2024, 8:37:49 AMMay 24
to unmarked
Hello,

I am doing occupancy models with the unmarked package, and I hope that you can help me with some questions.

I have two random intercepts, one which concerns the hierarchy of the design (1|transect), and another one which concerns the seasonality (1|site). Should I put the random intercepts in the detection or in the occupancy of my model ? Does it change the effects ?

When plotting the effects, is it possible to get a graph that shows the interactions present in my model ? Is there a function that I can use to plot the interactions, or do I have to take the predictions and plot them instead ?

Best regards,
Dalida Dutoit

Marc Kery

May 24, 2024, 9:02:38 AMMay 24
to unmarked
Dear Dalida,

comment on your first question: the answer really depends of WHERE you think these effects should be. If you think that transects or seasons fundamentally differ in terms of their occupancy, then you put these terms there. If you think that there is something that affects all the data within a transect, or within a season, in a similar way in terms of detection, you put them there.

The power and the beauty of these hierarchical models is really that they invite (but also force) you to think about the two subprocesses underlying the observed data in a completely separate manner.

Best regards  --- Marc