References, worked examples, etc. on pcountOpen

Alexis Cerezo

Oct 20, 2021, 7:16:55 PM10/20/21
to unmarked
Dear all,

I have a 30-year data set on tropical birds in Guatemala, and wanted to model temporal trends in abundance for these species.  After some research, I found that the best approach would be with the Open N-Mixture models (Dail-Madsen), but besides scanty R-code (with very brief comments), I haven´t found more in-depth literature to get acquainted with these models.  If anyone can provide (or point me to some) more detailed material (step-by-step examples, materials from seminars, etc., anything!) that deals with these models, I would be very thankful.  I have the paper by Dail & Madsen (2011), but unfortunately the supplementary material is not available on the Biometrics website.

Many thanks!

Alexis

Marc Kery

Oct 21, 2021, 4:14:47 AM10/21/21
to unmarked
Dear Alexis,

there is a monographical chapter on the Dail-Madsen model and similar open-pop abundance models in the AHM2 book (Royle & Kery 2021). You can get all the code for that from a github website for free. There are also a couple of papers that have used the Dail-Madsen model and that may be easier to understand than the original article in Biometrics. So perhaps check who cited the paper and then look at those in ecological journals. Off the top of my head, there is the earliest one by Chandler et al., about in 2011, one on Canadian flying squirrels about in 2015.... and surely quite some more. Also Bellier et al., 2016 and 2018 (MEE and Journal of Animal Ecology).

Best regards  --- Marc

Oct 21, 2021, 11:59:49 AM10/21/21
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Marc!

Best,

Alexis

--
Ph.D. Alexis M. Cerezo Blandón
Coordinador de la Sub-dirección de Investigaciones Biológicas