Understanding linearComb & backTransform with categorical factors

Leah Bayer

May 31, 2024, 2:49:53 PMMay 31
to unmarked
Hi all,

Can someone explain the difference between these lines of backTransform code? I am trying to figure out how to get the model's overall colonization estimate as well as the colonization estimates for each of the 2 levels of Flow Regime.

c5 <- colext(psiformula = ~WT_Dep,
               gammaformula = ~Flow_Regime,
               epsilonformula = ~Precip_Freq_1mo,
               pformula = ~wtpres,  data = Fmar_unmarkedMultFrame)

lc1 <- backTransform(linearComb(c5, c(0, 1), type = "col"))
lc2 <- backTransform(linearComb(c5, c(1, 0), type = "col"))
lc3 <- backTransform(linearComb(c5, c(1, 1), type = "col"))

I think that the intercept (lc2) will give the estimate for the first level of my factor and lc3 will give the estimate for the second level of my factor, but I am not certain. I have tried and failed to find a definitive answer. Thanks!