Terry Gillette

kishwe...@banktandd.com

Aug 28, 2023, 5:20:52 PM8/28/23
to Unlea...@googlegroups.com, OLPC Devel, Matthew Ciao, Adam Holt, server-devel, xsce-devel, Aslam Aziz
Dear friends,

You may have already heard the very sad news of our dear friend having
passed away peacefully on 19th of August. His family are holding a farewell
today for which his daughters have created a Web page and within it is a
link to the live streaming of the service. It will be held at 11am Australia
Brisbane time today. I'm sorry this is so late in getting to you, however It
will remain available to view after this time. https://www.terrygillett.com/

Without having met Terry in person, his personality deeply touched me and
left a very warm and inspiring impression of him as a person and of his
humanity. He reached out to me when I asked for help in a larger group and
was instrumental in helping us get across around 7000 XO Laptops for
children in Pakistan who had no access to any digital device.

After that he seems to have adopted us and our 500 children, who come from
very underprivileged background in a deprived area of Karachi, Pakistan. In
July he mailed a package with several devices for our school and sent me
instructions that I should follow when the devices arrive from Adelaide. As
we are still waiting for my sister-in-law to travel back to Karachi later
this month, the devices have not arrived. I did not respond to Terry,
thinking I would ask him questions once the devices were in our hands. He
was so diligent that he sent very detailed notes for everything he sent us.

With a very sad heart

Kishwer Aziz
Mobile/ WhatsApp: +44 07725816209
Skype: kishweraziz

Sandra Thaxter

Aug 29, 2023, 9:52:48 AM8/29/23
to kishwe...@banktandd.com, Unlea...@googlegroups.com, OLPC Devel, Matthew Ciao, Adam Holt, server-devel, xsce-devel, Aslam Aziz
   Thank you for your sharing.  I hope all those 7000 machines are still serving the children in Pakistan.   The children I have in Kenya keep using them even when the keyboards have disappeared and the screens are full of streaks and splots.   We would love to know a place to buy more used /or in any condition.  They are beloved portals to to our bigger world.

Sandra Thaxter

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---

Nancie Severs

Aug 29, 2023, 1:09:23 PM8/29/23
to Sandra Thaxter, Adam Holt, Aslam Aziz, Matthew Ciao, OLPC Devel, Unlea...@googlegroups.com, kishwe...@banktandd.com, server-devel, xsce-devel
Hi Kishwer,
I am so sorry to read this. I too never met Terry, but I recognize how great things don’t fall into place without great volunteers giving of themselves for others. His family can be very proud of the difference he has made to the children in AU, Pakistan, and probably elsewhere as well, with his generous gift of his time and “know how.”

I’m very sorry for your loss. And hopeful that the XO shipment for your Pakistan projects will arrive soon to realize the legacy Terry left.

Warm personal regards,
Nancie:)

--
Nancie Severs Treasure Each Day