Laptops?

Christine Murakami

Dec 22, 2019, 1:26:43 PM12/22/19
to Unleash Kids!

Hi Adam and all.

I haven't been in touch in a long time. It looks like the work with IIAB is really taking off, and I have a couple of questions regarding hardware. I've been in contact with someone I met through our work in Barbados who is interested in perhaps purchasing some XO laptops and IIAB server stuff for a potential project in Ghana. Couple of questions. Do you know if OLPC still lets people purchase XO’s? And if not, do you know what people purchase who want durable, long-lasting laptops?

I think he is still a long way away from purchases, but I keep your work in my radar always, and just checked out the links in your Unleash Kids website to get an update.

Happy Holidays to all!

Christine Murakami

Kishwer Aziz

Dec 27, 2019, 1:16:40 PM12/27/19
to Christine Murakami, Unleash Kids!

Hello Christine,

I have been taking used (but in great condition) XO4 Touch laptops from One Education Australia. They are replacing almost 50,000 of these units with the next generation machine in Australian schools.

We have already secured about 5,500 of these for schools in Pakistan and are hoping to keep taking as many more as we can raise funds for transportation costs. They are happy to collect, clean and ship them if we cover the costs that they incur. For collecting cleaning, packaging and shipping from Sydney to Karachi, Pakistan has cost us under $15 per unit. The first batch was received in July 2019 and was in excellent condition. You also get to choose whether you want these loaded with a sugar o/s or an android o/s developed for these laptops.

I suggest you approach them for laptops for the deployment you are planning. The new CEO is Matthew Ciao. His email address is mat...@one-education.org

I  hope this helps.

Regards

Kishwer Aziz