Competition launched!

Eleni Triantafillou

Sep 11, 2023, 2:16:30 PM9/11/23
to unlearning...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

We're excited to announce that the unlearning challenge is now open for submissions on Kaggle! We will accept submissions until November 27, 2023.

We recommend using this starting notebook for making a submission, and simply replacing the contents of the `unlearning` function. Please see the Kaggle page for more information on how to make a submission.

We are also excited to release our write-up with a formal definition of unlearning, linking it to Differential Privacy, and a description of the metric and evaluation protocol that we use in the challenge.

We look forward to receiving your submissions!

Thanks,

Eleni, on behalf of the unlearning challenge organizers

Sambit Mukherjee

Sep 12, 2023, 3:09:38 AM9/12/23
to unlearning-challenge
Why no points & medals? This will dramatically reduce participation...

Eleni Triantafillou

Sep 12, 2023, 7:38:17 AM9/12/23
to Mohit Gurnani, unlearning-challenge
Hi,

Thanks for your question!

To clarify, the 512 checkpoints all use the same retain/forget set. The idea behind running 512 times is to estimate the distribution of unlearned models, within the context of this particular setup (retain/forget split). We describe this in the document we shared, hope that helps clarify the setup and evaluation procedure.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:55 PM Mohit Gurnani <gurnani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for launching the competition! My team is very eager to get started. I just had a quick question regarding the 512 check points. Is that
A)  A way to cross validate across 512 splits? I'm not sure if the retain, forget or validation loaders are being modified so I think it might be B) It's doing 512 runs of the same experiment/split? Could you please clarify at your earliest convenience?

Thanks again,
Mohit