The Type of Game This Is

Mateen Kasim

Jul 22, 2014, 8:08:06 PM7/22/14
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
The Universe Project was originally a game where all of the players were put into a "simulation of humanity by humanity." It seemed like it was supposed to start at the beginning of humanity's time and end up in the future, and only our decisions and creations could progress us through society. Now, the game seems to be, instead of starting past humans and end up as technologically advanced humans, a game where everyone is launched into this "VoidSpace" and does basic gaming quests like trading, mining for resources, and going to war. Is this still a game with real-life proportions, ethics, human strength, and the passing of time? Is this still the same game that I signed up for months and months ago, or has it changed to become a completely different and basic type of game?

Hugo Hammarberg

Jul 23, 2014, 10:40:59 AM7/23/14
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
As I have understood Voidspace is not the final game, they only use it to develope the technics and mechanics that will be used in the final game.
Message has been deleted

Noah Sutton-Smolin

Jul 23, 2014, 12:42:06 PM7/23/14
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
To my understanding, VoidSpace is being developed as a testing platform for the core features of the Universe Project itself. As UP necessitates a rather complex architecture and communications framework, VoidSpace has the capacity to serve as an effective testing ground.

Not only this, but it will also show how easy (or, as the case may be, difficult) it is to write good game logic with the existing framework, so that it may be tested and refined for both ease of debugging and internal efficiency before being released in the Universe Project itself.

To my understanding, the ultimate goal of the Universe Project has not been lost, but has been somewhat deferred during the testing of individual components and, as you see in VoidSpace, the merging and synergy of those components in practice.

In other words, patience, padawan. All shall come soon.