[IMPORTANT] FAQ

Matt/Maz

Jan 9, 2013, 2:39:59 PM1/9/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
If you have noticed any questions about the game that seem to be asked quite a lot and have been answered then please post them and the answer below.
Or if you have some questions that you feel are important and you don't think have been answered anywhere also post them and hopefully they will be answred.

Most Commonly Asked Question I can see:

Q How do referrals work?
A When someone clicks your referral link that increase your 'click' count, it is only when that person signs up, by entering their e-mail, that your referral count will increase.

Lossidian

Jan 10, 2013, 10:22:59 AM1/10/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Q: What graphics will be used?
A: The game will start with an Isometric 2d game.  This option will be available as long as required to make it useable by all platforms, and will eventually have a 2d first person, and a 3d first or third person.

(I'll post a couple more in a few minutes, have to go do something.)

Lossidian

Jan 10, 2013, 10:48:42 AM1/10/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
This is actually depending how you look at it, a more active question that we have here, looks fairly equal in post count to the referrals.

Q: How will this be funded?
A: Right now the funding upon release is unknown.  There is several posts regarding ideas to how it can be funded, but at the moment Nik has not planned that far ahead.  He is right now looking into a crowd based donation funding program to help with the start-up.  Due to the benefits of referrals(12 referral reward) we are aware that there will be a purchase price, but we're unaware if after that it will be free to play, or monthly payments.
Message has been deleted

Lossidian

Jan 10, 2013, 9:53:59 PM1/10/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
The answer to your question is a tad complicated, but here's the best way I can put it.

Q: What format do you plan to release the game in (i.e web-based, downloadable client, etc.)
A: The game will attempt to be able to be played on any device(phone, computer, iPad, etc.(Like Minecraft)) which would immediately make it forced to be a download format, however there is the possibility that as time progresses and the game gains popularity, web-based forms may develop for computer players as they did in minecraft, however the compatibility would be basically up to the service operator and may cause for a lot of downtime unless it's owned and operated by Nik himself.
Message has been deleted

Nikolas Gauvreau

Jan 10, 2013, 10:24:25 PM1/10/13
to Cole Reesor, universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Go ahead and collect the questions here, I'll keep the answers given by the community and/or update and/or rewrite answers when necessary and when I get some time.
THanks guys!

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Cole Reesor <coler...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah I see, and since the game looks like a 10 year old computer can run it im sure tablets can too.
--

Message has been deleted

Nikolas Gauvreau

Jan 10, 2013, 10:41:52 PM1/10/13
to Cole Reesor, universe-project...@googlegroups.com
You know what though, I think we need a subreddit. Reddit's voting format would be awesome for stuff like this. I looked into it, and apparently you can embed reddit in your own page. I'm going to likely incorporate that into this funding platform as a central hub for questions and community voting on issues.

Lossidian

Jan 10, 2013, 10:47:04 PM1/10/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com, Cole Reesor
Q: Planned alpha release date?
A: I wish I knew too x.x.

Noah Sutton Smolin

Jan 11, 2013, 2:14:52 AM1/11/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Nik:

I'm sure you've heard of StackOverflow and the StackExchange network. I think that Q&A format would be perfect for something like this.

If not, check it out. It's an amazing concept. OpenOverflow is good for third party sites.

--N

Nikolas Gauvreau

Jan 11, 2013, 9:34:50 AM1/11/13
to Noah Sutton Smolin, universe-project...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually working on getting a reddit subreddit up. Someone already created the one I'm interested in so I'm trying to get a hold of them.

--N

random...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2013, 7:03:10 AM1/12/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
at 6 referrals it say that you wil recieve a day-to-day inside scoop of the project.
do I recieve those on my email-address?

Aidanny

Jan 24, 2013, 12:59:20 PM1/24/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
You will but the game has not yet been developped enough

Nikolas Gauvreau

Jan 24, 2013, 1:37:18 PM1/24/13
to random...@gmail.com, universe-project...@googlegroups.com

Actually, you'll receive instructions on your email . It hasn't yet been decided where the daily updates will actually take place, we'll address that after the initial sign up period is finished and the donation period begins.

On 2013-01-12 7:03 AM, <random...@gmail.com> wrote:
at 6 referrals it say that you wil recieve a day-to-day inside scoop of the project.
do I recieve those on my email-address?

Prototype#98

Feb 5, 2013, 7:04:35 PM2/5/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Q: Will time in the game go with real life or will it be accelerated? Will we able to advance to new tech within the first 3 moths of the game or like 1 year?

Maz

Feb 6, 2013, 2:30:10 AM2/6/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
To get to the stages of modern technology would take take around 4 real life years, to get to futuristic technology and end up living fully on other planets may take up to 8 to 10 real life years.

Mitchell Faguy

Feb 6, 2013, 7:26:36 AM2/6/13

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:39:59 PM UTC-5, Maz wrote:
If you have noticed any questions about the game that seem to be asked quite a lot and have been answered then please post them and the answer below.
Or if you have some questions that you feel are important and you don't think have been answered anywhere also post them and hopefully they will be answred

Q i heard something about real money being in game. Is this true and how will that work. also on a unrelated note how long will people be able to donate to the game.

Mitchell Faguy

Feb 6, 2013, 7:34:57 AM2/6/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com

Q when will technical test start.

grov...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2013, 12:23:22 PM2/6/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Emm... Please help, I went on the new page of the Universe Project, and all my referrals are gone! What do I do now?

Nikolas Gauvreau

Feb 6, 2013, 12:29:48 PM2/6/13
to Grove ., universe-project...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on adding them riiight now actually.

Bob Saget

Feb 9, 2013, 5:21:27 PM2/9/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
I know that when you get 12 people to sign up, you get the game for half off. If you get 24 people to sign up, do you get the game for free?

Noah Sutton Smolin

Feb 10, 2013, 1:54:55 PM2/10/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
No, the limit is 12.

Nikolas Gauvreau

Feb 10, 2013, 2:36:59 PM2/10/13
to Noah Sutton Smolin, universe-project...@googlegroups.com

That's not true actually. With 24 sign ups you could potentially get the game for free if some of them and up donating. You get 25 percent of everything that your sign ups donate.

Noah Sutton Smolin

Feb 10, 2013, 2:37:44 PM2/10/13
to Nikolas Gauvreau, universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's true, I forgot about that. Sorry!

Caleb Brannan

Feb 11, 2013, 9:49:20 AM2/11/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com

Q: Will time in the game go with real life or will it be accelerated? Will we able to advance to new tech within the first 3 moths of the game or like 1 year?

A: Game time will be accelerated but players most likely would not even notice, So no the game is not going to take 1000  RL years just to get to the wheel :3

The game will be accelerated, it will however based on what the character know (not the player). Such as that you in RL may know how to create a wheel/wagon/sails/boat/ etc. But your character wouldn't.  Also remember hat the speed at which knowledge travels and in turn innovation was much slower in "Ye Olde" times compared to now with all the technology we have. Below are a few ways that your character can learn different things.

-Experimentation(scraping a stick against a rock tends to sharpen the stick),

-Other inventions or items( Your character sees someone riding a horse, plowing a field, or shooting a bow.)

-From word of mouth or (writing*) esp. for players who spawn as children (the best way for characters to keep up to date/ knowledgeable is to share ideas and thoughts -most commonly done through word of mouth however once writing is invented it would allow for greater use of this mechanic.)

-Their will be other ways, they just haven't been defined yet.

kaifu...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2013, 9:14:06 PM2/15/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com
Q: What happens when you die/kill someone, will blood and bones be dropped or what?

Lark

Feb 24, 2013, 6:42:00 PM2/24/13
to universe-project...@googlegroups.com

Q: Why is the forum on Google groups?