Popular shows and films on personal identity

Jason Resch

Dec 17, 2023, 11:42:45 AM12/17/23
to universalis...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be worthwhile to create a "Playlist" of media programs that shake the usual view of personal identity. So far we have a few, but I encourage everyone to think of what else you have seen, perhaps particular episodes of science fiction shows, etc. that deal with these ideas:

  • The Prestige (2006)
  • Moon (2009)
  • Severance (2022 –)
  • Black Mirror S4E4 "Hang the DJ"
  • Black Mirror S6E3 "Beyond the Sea"

Jason

Mark Berezov

Mar 19, 2024, 11:25:59 PMMar 19
to Universalism (Philosophy of Personal Identity)
These ones might also fit this list:
Lost Highway (1997)
Coherence (2013)
Upstream Color (2013)

Samuel Hooper

Mar 19, 2024, 11:29:14 PMMar 19
to universalis...@googlegroups.com
Anything dealing with a classic sci-fi transporter (Star Trek, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory…)

Zuboff, Arnold

Mar 20, 2024, 12:10:21 AMMar 20
to universalis...@googlegroups.com
This sounds good, but I can’t at the moment think of anything you haven’t covered.

On 20 Mar 2024, at 3:29 am, 'Samuel Hooper' via Universalism (Philosophy of Personal Identity) <universalis...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

⚠ Caution: External sender