Captions Requested - "Vision sin Vista" - a short documentary about a blind hammock weaver in Nicaragua with an inspiring story

Robin Canfield

Feb 12, 2014, 12:07:35 PM2/12/14
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

This is my first foray into closed captioning as some of my students produced a short documentary in Granada, Nicaragua last year that centers on Jimmy, a blind hammock maker. Jimmy is one of many blind workers at the hammock factory/cafe (in a part of the world where most people with disabilities are considered unemployable). Both Jimmy as well as the other workers think his story could inspire other people with disabilities, and so they asked if it would be possible to put closed captions on the short film.

http://vimeo.com/82158069 - "Vision sin Vista" - (Vision without Sight)

I have the English subtitles done on Amara, and am starting in on the Spanish subtitles right now. While I am looking into what all is required in closed captions, any help getting them made would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Claude Almansi

Feb 14, 2014, 2:53:16 AM2/14/14
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin

Thank you! And congratulations to your students on "Visión sin vista",
it's a great documentary.

Would you agree to add the
<http://www.amara.org/en/videos/cRUX4heZJSKQ/info/vision-sin-vista>
page where you made the Spanish, Nicaragua captions and the English
subtitles to the Captions Requested team -
<http://www.amara.org/en/teams/captions-requested/videos/>?

This way team members would know of it more easily, and some might be
interested in translating the subtitles into further languages, and
that would not limit potential subtitlers to team members either.

In particular, one of the "languages" recently added to Amara is
"Metadata: Audio Description". For the time being, that's just for
scripting a timed audio description of a video: you still have to use
that to produce the audio based on the script. But in a near future,
it will become possible to add the text track of an audio description
to a video, and the browser will produce its audio by text-to-speech,
with the possibility for the user to stop the video while the
description is being read.

I'd be interested in getting a group of people experimenting with that
Metadata: Audio description track. We could start it in both Spanish
and English, according to participants' main languages. Then when we
get a full set, make complete translations first in one, then in the
other language, and download the translated scripts to record them.

As to the real captions/subtitles you already made: they are great -
but it would be easier to start by making the original captions, then
translate them in other languages: if the translation needs adjusting,
it's possible to move to "directly from the video" in the present
editor. And with the new beta editor, you can do that directly AND
keep the original captions for reference.

Thank you again!

Claude Almansi
(co-admin of the Captions Requested team)