Blocked subtitling in Louisiana Channel videos

Claude Almansi

Jun 16, 2013, 10:33:56 AM6/16/13
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com
In the Amara Louisiana Channel videos, if a subtitler ticks the box for "These subtitles cover the entire video"  for a given set of subtitles, it becomes impossible to further edit these subtitles. The Edit link works, but it leads to a page that says:

Sorry, you do not have the permission to edit these subtitles. If you believe that they need correction, please contact the team administrator

When that happened to me with the English subtitles of David Hockney: Photoshop is boring on June 6, 2013, I accordingly sent an Amara message to Louisiana Channel, described as Owner in the member list asking him/her to check if this was caused by the team's permission settings, and if so, to correct the settings - and to explain them publicly in the team description.

On June 9, s/he replied: "we are relatively new to Amara and I need to ask. I will get back to you" but s/he hasn't so far.

I also e-mailed Darren Bridenbeck, who is team owner and Amara staff, on June 8, 10 and 14, with the same request. No reply at all.

Moreover, it's not just that English set of subtitles for the Andy Warhol video that needs to be further edited. E.g. in the English subtitles of Patti Smith: Andy Warhol would have known how to depict 9/11, the misplaced comma and lack of capitalization in "his last supper, body of work" (1:22 – 1:31) has mislead almost all translators, who didn't get that Smith is talking about Warhol's variations on the "Last Supper". No way to correct either the original or those translations, because they are all marked complete and hence uneditable.

So could someone from Amara staff  please correct whatever setting is causing this block?

Thank you in advance,

Claude

Dean Jansen

Jun 17, 2013, 10:01:49 AM6/17/13
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com
We're working to resolve this now – thanks for the heads up, Claude.

Best,
Dean

Claude Almansi

Jun 21, 2013, 5:16:38 AM6/21/13
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com, de...@pculture.org

On Monday, June 17, 2013 4:01:49 PM UTC+2, Dean Jansen wrote:
We're working to resolve this now – thanks for the heads up, Claude.

Best,
Dean

The issue persists. Should it have anything to do with:

It’s easy to get started with Amara for businesses of any size, with any amount of video, and you only pay for the subtitles you complete.

in http://about.amara.org/enterprise/ (1), then
  1. it'd be darned unfair to bill Louisiana Channel for subtitles that still need editing and were mistakenly marked "complete", due to the ambiguous wording about "covering the whole video" in the editor.
  2. for the umpteenth time: if you crowdsource subtitling to volunteers, this as well as any team setting affecting volunteers' work (permissions in particular) should be plainly visible to all, so that volunteers know what they're in for if they join an Amara team.

(1) What should that page be called, please? The file name is "enterprise", it's linked as "Pro Services" in the top menu of Amara pages, and its title tag, i.e what browsers show, is "Crowd Subtitles | Amara - Buy captions, video translations, transcriptions, and crowd subtitling". Moreover, the http://about.amara.org/enterprise-features/ page linked on  "Learn more >>" after the quotation above gives no info about this paying only for completed subs

Dean Jansen

Jun 21, 2013, 9:36:45 AM6/21/13
to Claude Almansi, universal-subt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

Apologies for the radio silence – we're soooo close to this new release and are hoping this will alleviate these issues. Do you think we should just add a note in the team sidebar temporarily to note what's going on (to address #2)? We are doing away with tasks as soon as we can, so don't want to spend a lot of development resources on enhancing it right now.

--Dean

Claude Almansi

Jun 28, 2013, 9:59:24 AM6/28/13
to universal-subt...@googlegroups.com, de...@pculture.org
Hi Dean,

My turn to apologize: I missed your reply in my e-mails, and only checked online now.

Yes, it would be a good idea to add a note about the issue with subs marked complete in the sidebar, also perhaps send a message to the team members about it: those who got blocked for weeks in their subtitling by this issue might well not be visiting the Louisiana Channel team's page anymore: see the impressive slowing down of the team's activity.

Could you join it as admin in order to send that message? Darren Bridenbeck has now downgraded himself to contributor, which leaves - as potential message senders - Louisiana Channel who replied about being new to Amara and having to ask further, and Nuncho who does appear as owner on heaps of teams, but who apparently never writes anything. A bot, maybe?

Best,

Claude