VV in Scientific American

Steve Awodey

Oct 3, 2013, 5:25:08 PM10/3/13
to homotopyt...@googlegroups.com, univalent-foundations@googlegroups.com Foundations

Michael Shulman

Oct 3, 2013, 5:56:31 PM10/3/13
to Harley D. Eades III, Steve Awodey, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com, univalent-foundations@googlegroups.com Foundations
I would think the difference between MLTT and CIC is so technical as
to be irrelevant for an article at this level. I'm more bothered by
the misleading juxtaposition

"Georges Gonthier, for example, spent a decade checking the four-color
theorem. But this approach circumvents all that labor."

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Harley D. Eades III
<harley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool!
>
> I like seeing words like "type theory" in a mainstream blog.
>
> There is one funny sentence though:
>
> "And that last one — Coq — he couldn’t understand.
> It was based on something called Martin-Löf type theory, and he just
> couldn’t get his head around it."
>
> All this time I was thinking it was CIC. :-P
>
> .\ Harley
>
> On Oct 3, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Steve Awodey <awo...@cmu.edu> wrote:
>

> http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/10/01/voevodskys-mathematical-revolution/
>
> --

Steve Awodey

Oct 3, 2013, 6:17:23 PM10/3/13
to Michael Shulman, Harley D. Eades III, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com, univalent-foundations@googlegroups.com Foundations

On Oct 3, 2013, at 10:56 PM, Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu> wrote:

> I would think the difference between MLTT and CIC is so technical as
> to be irrelevant for an article at this level. I'm more bothered by
> the misleading juxtaposition
>
> "Georges Gonthier, for example, spent a decade checking the four-color
> theorem. But this approach circumvents all that labor."

well, considering how bad popular science journalism can sometimes be, I think this piece is pretty good!