Citing the HoTT book

Martin Escardo

Apr 23, 2013, 5:07:35 PM4/23/13
to univalent-...@googlegroups.com
How should one cite the HoTT Book? In particular, does anybody have a
bibtex file to share?

(BTW, I quite like the new torus plotted with Sigmas and Pi's.
Brilliant. Whose idea was that? Perhaps I missed a discussion that
already took place here, in which case I apologize.)

Martin

Martin Escardo

Apr 23, 2013, 5:44:48 PM4/23/13
to univalent-...@googlegroups.com
Now I've been told about the author and implementor of this brilliant
new potential cover, and indeed the discussion didn't take place here
yet: https://github.com/HoTT/book/issues/122#issuecomment-16342654

But I am still missing my bibtex file. :-)

Or at least a suggestion of how this multi-author paper should be cited.
It is like a paper in physics, with hundred's of authors. How do
physicists solve this problem in their references, and how is it going
to be solved here?

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Escardo
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe

Steve Awodey

Apr 23, 2013, 6:17:51 PM4/23/13
to m.es...@cs.bham.ac.uk, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
It should be cited as follows:

Homotopy type theory: Univalent foundations of mathematics. The Univalent Foundations Program, Institute for Advanced Study, 2013.

Michael Shulman

Apr 23, 2013, 8:57:59 PM4/23/13
to awo...@cmu.edu, m.es...@cs.bham.ac.uk, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to inform BibTeX to use a specific key as the alpha
citation? Writing simply

author = {Univalent Foundations Project}

results in citations like [Pro13] which are kind of wrong. The best
I've been able to come up with so far is

author = {{Univalent Foundations Project}}

which results in [Uni13]. I think [UF13] would be even better, but I
haven't figured out how to get it to do that.

Steve Awodey

Apr 24, 2013, 3:43:08 AM4/24/13
to virit...@gmail.com, awo...@cmu.edu, m.es...@cs.bham.ac.uk, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I suggested this to Martin:

@techreport{HoTTbook,
Author = {The Univalent Foundations Program},
Institution = {Institute for Advanced Study},
Title = {Homotopy type theory: Univalent foundations of mathematics},
Year = {2013}}

Andrej Bauer

Apr 24, 2013, 5:20:13 AM4/24/13
to Steven Awodey, Michael Shulman, Martín Escardó, univalent-...@googlegroups.com

Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine

Apr 24, 2013, 10:39:53 AM4/24/13
to Andrej Bauer, Steven Awodey, Michael Shulman, Martín Escardó, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Andrej Bauer <andrej...@andrej.com> wrote:
So, to sum up what I learned there:

- there’s no simple thing we can provide in our .bib data which (for people using bibtex with standard styles) will customise the key;

- we can add a “shorthand” field to the .bib file, which should work for people using biblatex;

- we can, with a bit of work, modify our own bib style files so that they will also use the “shorthand” field (or “alias” or whatever we want); and perhaps we can encourage others to use our modifications too. If no-one else wants to do this, I think I would be able/happy to — I’ve played around with .bst files a bit before, and while the language used is pretty bizarre, it’s by no means completely intractable.

Dan Licata

Apr 24, 2013, 12:33:14 PM4/24/13
to Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine, Andrej Bauer, Steven Awodey, Michael Shulman, Martín Escardó, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
It also might be good to include a link to
http://homotopytypetheory.org/book/ in the biblio, so people know where
to look. I think this is where we intend the official home to be?

-Dan

Andrej Bauer

Apr 24, 2013, 4:35:18 PM4/24/13
to Dan Licata, Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine, Steven Awodey, Michael Shulman, Martín Escardó, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
That's going to be on the book cover, and it's already on the copyright page.

Andrej Bauer

Apr 24, 2013, 4:35:54 PM4/24/13
to Dan Licata, Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine, Steven Awodey, Michael Shulman, Martín Escardó, univalent-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see what you mean. You're coming up with a Bibtex entry for the book for *other* people to use. Sure. We can even put such a bibtex entry on the web site.

Martin Escardo

May 1, 2013, 7:12:21 PM5/1/13
to univalent-...@googlegroups.com
If nobody objects or improve, I am going to use the following bibtex
file for the final version of an MFPS paper: