UnityPark Cloud Survey

Staffan Einarsson

Feb 14, 2013, 4:58:16 AM2/14/13
to UnityPark Suite Announcements
Dear UnityPark developers,

We are conducting a survey among our customers and users about our upcoming hosting service UnityPark Cloud. The survey is made up of a few questions that we hope you have the time to answer. It would help us a lot to get your input on this.

UnityPark Cloud is planned to be a development, testing and release environment for games developed using UnityPark Suite. You might have already seen some of this information back in December, but please refer to the information blow as much has been updated. UnityPark Cloud is a subscription service that will give you access to one game server host and a Riak cluster of three nodes.

The game server host is a virtual machine with the following specs.
  • 2 CPU cores at 2 GHz (shared with Riak nodes)
  • 4096 MB RAM
  • 50 GB SATA HDD space
  • OS: Windows Server 2012 Datacenter (we will also make Linux available shortly)
  • Pre-installed software: uZone Server and Node, uLink PolicyServer, uLink MasterServer
  • Pre-installed example build: UnityPark Suite Demo.

The three virtual Riak nodes each have the following specs.
  • 2 CPU cores at 2 GHz (shared with the game server host)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 10 GB SSD HDD space
  • OS: CentOS 6.3 Linux
  • Pre-installed software: Riak, configured as a cluster.

The environment features redundant network infrastructure (switches and firewalls all have fail-over, the network link has 99.99% uptime) and daily backups that are kept up to 30 days. The game server host gets a public IP address that makes it accessible from the internet. All the machines also get private IP addresses that can be accessed through a VPN that you log in to. For example, the Riak nodes do not have public IPs, but the game server talks to them over the private link, and when you are logged in to the VPN you can access the database from your workstation as well.

The game server host comes with an example Unity project that shows how to create a zoned persistent world using uLink, uLobby, uGameDB and uZone together.

For all of this we would charge €180 /month.

(We know that this is quite a bit higher than what we presented in December, but we felt that the environment really needed to be beefed up to professional quality)

Now, I would very much like to get your input on the following questions.
  1. Do you think this is a fair price for such a service?

  2. If yes, would you or your studio order the service?
    (This is not binding of course, we just want to gauge the amount of interest)

  3. If no, what would you change about it to make it more appealing?

You can send any reply directly to me at staffan....@muchdifferent.com.

Big thanks in advance and best wishes,

-- Staffan Einarsson
Engineering