Why are iPhone builds so huge?

Cliff Owen

Dec 16, 2010, 8:28:06 PM12/16/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com, Unity iPhone beta
Anyone have any insight why iPhone builds are so big?

My iPhone app weighs in at a hefty 33.7MB. The equivalent Android application (.APK size) is 18MB. The web build is 3.5mb.

This tells me the sum of my actual content and such is probably only about 4mb and Unity is the rest.

According to the Apple documentation, any application over 20mb will not be available for download over cellular networks which pretty much kills off 80% or so of your prospective buyers who will never even know your game exists.

How fat is Unity for iPhone? My game is so brain dead simple it’s entirely probable that all content together with a straight Obj-C/OpenGL implementation would be 5-7mb. Unity keeps adding features, and features mean memory. I think we need a little finer control in the mobile market to cut out the fluff we don’t need.

What can I do to knock this down to a reasonable level?

John Grden

Dec 16, 2010, 9:10:39 PM12/16/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
At one point when we were trying to get memory down, we built a single empty scene and it was between 10-11mb alone.  Not sure if it's grown since 1.7 ( when we did the testing )

When it was all said and done, music and image compression were the main key factors in both file size and memory footprint.

Sent from my iPad

Seb Lee-Delisle

Dec 17, 2010, 5:16:34 AM12/17/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure you can still buy games over a cellular network, it
just waits until you connect to WiFi before it downloads it.

Seb

John Grden

Dec 17, 2010, 8:22:07 AM12/17/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes that's true - I purchased Rage HD here at home and it immediately downloaded because I was on wifi at the time

Sent from my iPad