Unity 3.3 and iOS audio issues

Elliott Mitchell

Apr 19, 2011, 10:06:11 PM4/19/11
to unity3d dev dev
Hey Guys,

I have a question that's been bugging the shit out of me for a day or two. So I have an iPhone version of my iOS game made in unity 3.2 that works fine. Audio for FX are mp3 files and in the inspector they are listed as ogg compressed. On my iPad version in unity 3.3 the same audio files are showing up as MPEG compression in the inspector. In this version the sounds are truncated in the game. When I update the iPhone version to unity the 3.3 same thing happens. Any clues I'm missing? I can't change how unity is compressing or not compressing the files! Do I need to replace all the source files with uncompressed wave files and re-integrate?

Thanks,

Elliott
----------------------------------

Elliott Mitchell

Co-Founder Boston Unity Group
President / Creative Director
Vermont Digital Arts, LLC

Guilford, VT 05301, USA

Cliff Owen

Apr 20, 2011, 3:18:47 AM4/20/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Elliott,

I think we’ve all experienced audio issues in one form or another, and most of us probably have our own ideas about what causes them. They certainly have been around and taken different forms on different versions of iOS and Unity.

From my experience, it does appear to me that there’s a delay in the startup of the audio being played. If, for example, the audio is 1 second long and it takes 1/4th of a second to play it, there seems to be a disconnect between the FMod library and Unity. Unity will believe the audio is done after 1 second, but it took 1/4th of a second to start so only ¾ of a second will actually play before Unity tells FMod to stop.

There doesn’t appear to be anything that can be done to ensure the sound plays when you tell it to play.. and as a matter of fact it would be surprising if they could considering buffering techniques used in most hardware. The buffer would have to be flushed and the newly mixed audio inserted without generating an audible click.

My solution, however, works pretty well. I simply pad all my sound files with about ¼ of a second of null noise at the end. Problem solved.

I hope that’s helpful.

Cliff

Elliott Mitchell

Apr 20, 2011, 8:02:43 AM4/20/11