building for Mac app store

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 11:28:53 AM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
hey, what are the details for building for the new Mac app store?  What player settings iOS do I target and what (if anything) do I need to do in Xcode for making a build for the Mac app store?

Is it just a standalone app?  Is it that simple?  :)

--
[  JPG  ]

Jake Haas

Jan 31, 2011, 12:29:30 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I got my app submitted and approved using this tutorial:

You will need to get the appropriate patches from Unity Tech, I'm not sure if these are available outside the beta lists. Check the forums or send them an email.

Hope this helps,
Jake

Elliott Mitchell

Jan 31, 2011, 12:36:13 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for asking John and thanks for answering Jake.

I'm about to release for Mac App Store myself. I think I remember reading on the beta list that you do need custom patches from Unity. I'll try to dig up those emails today.

Cheers,
Elliott

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 12:55:09 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to both you!  I'm on the beta so If you do find those emails please pass them along!

Thanks again,

John

Sent from my iPad

Cliff Owen

Jan 31, 2011, 1:02:33 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
The current 3.2 bits are more than sufficient. Anything b3 or later should suffice. You just need to follow the directions Jake sent you to make sure your info.plist and bundle is created properly.

It’s actually quite a bit easier to do than an iOS submission... It must be. I was approved first time.

On Jan 31, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Jake Haas wrote:

Hi,

I got my app submitted and approved using this tutorial:

You will need to get the appropriate patches from Unity Tech, I'm not sure if these are available outside the beta lists. Check the forums or send them an email.

Hope this helps,
Jake

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 1:14:52 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
So, just to make sure I don't waste $99, I have to pay for a Mac dev license even though I'm already an iOS dev and have an acct there?

Sent from my iPad

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 1:15:58 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Oye, that IS the deal - holy crap

Sent from my iPad

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 1:17:21 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
So you're saying that the latest IDE had what I need, I don't need the additional files from unity?

Would I be able to assume that open feint should work just fine?

Sent from my iPad

Cliff Owen

Jan 31, 2011, 1:31:20 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
The latest IDE should be fine. I haven’t tried OpenFeint. The primary issue is that Unity builds the full standalone for you, it doesn’t use Xcode.. Which you would need to integrate the OpenFeint stuff. Presumably, OpenFeint could provide a MAC OS DLL that you could drop into the package somehow, if OpenFeint chose to support it.

And, yes, you have to fork up another $99 to turn on the Mac OS stuff so you can setup new certificates and junk. Most of it carries over, some of it doesn’t.

For what it’s worth: I consider my own sales on Mac to be extremely meager, but I made up the $99 in a couple days. I’ve done zero advertising/promoting so far. That will change later this week though, so I’m pretty optimistic about it.

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Elliott Mitchell <e...@vermontdigitalarts.com <mailto:e...@vermontdigitalarts.com> > wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for asking John and thanks for answering Jake.

I'm about to release for Mac App Store myself. I think I remember reading on the beta list that you do need custom patches from Unity. I'll try to dig up those emails today.

Cheers,
Elliott

On Jan 31, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Jake Haas wrote:

Hi,

I got my app submitted and approved using this tutorial:

You will need to get the appropriate patches from Unity Tech, I'm not sure if these are available outside the beta lists. Check the forums or send them an email.

Hope this helps,
Jake

John Grden

Jan 31, 2011, 1:41:52 PM1/31/11
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Yeah thanks Cliff, I figured as much about the $99

Ok, so you Do make a standalone.  Makes sense.  I'll ask the open feint people about the possibility ;)

Sent from my iPad