Prefabs for sale - any links?

John Grden

Oct 19, 2010, 11:50:03 AM10/19/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
I know about Unityprefabs.com, and http://www.blackish.at - are there any other sites selling / offering prefabs like UI controls etc?

--
[  JPG  ]

Alex Schwartz

Oct 19, 2010, 11:55:24 AM10/19/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
ActiveDen started up a Unity3d section:
http://activeden.net/category/unity-3d

Can't think of any others at the moment.

-Alex

--
Alex Schwartz
gtproductions.net

Elliott Mitchell

Oct 19, 2010, 12:14:54 PM10/19/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
There is one but I'm on the road. I'll look it up when I'm back.
-E

Elliott Mitchell
President / Creative Director
Vermont Digital Arts, LLC
179 Bluebird Drive
Guilford, VT 05301, USA
Sent from a mobile device.

John Grden

Oct 19, 2010, 2:33:33 PM10/19/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex!
--
[  JPG  ]

Elliott Mitchell

Oct 25, 2010, 8:19:17 PM10/25/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
http://unity3dtotal.com/stores/ has a few more prefab stores linked.

-Elliott
----------------------------------

Elliott Mitchell

President / Creative Director
Vermont Digital Arts, LLC
179 Bluebird Drive
Guilford, VT 05301, USA

GrouchoDuke

Oct 29, 2010, 1:57:19 PM10/29/10
to Unity3D Developers
Prime31 has some good plug ins for iPhone games: http://prime31.com/unity/

Bryan Duke
http://acceleroto.com

John Grden

Oct 29, 2010, 2:33:11 PM10/29/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Very very cool, man there's a ton out there - iAd and GameCenter support is very cool

[  JPG  ]

Cliff Owen

GrouchoDuke

Nov 1, 2010, 2:57:35 AM11/1/10
to Unity3D Developers
>I feel my pocketbook getting lighter.

True, but by plopping down $100 or so, you can save weeks worth of
pain. That's a no-brainer for me!

The Game Center multiplayer stuff works quite well. It's dead simple
to get devices connected over the internet using the Prime31 Game
Center prefab.

Bryan Duke
http://acceleroto.com

Cliff Owen

Nov 1, 2010, 10:57:00 AM11/1/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
It was a no brainer for me as well. I picked up 4 different ones to play
with. The Store Kit, iAd, Etcetera and Media Player. I think this was just
about $100 total.

Dropping this stuff into my project was unbelievably trivial and it all
integrates separately, no conflicts. There are some things that you still
need to consider, such as iAd is only available on iOS 4.x and so you need a
fallback mechanism... But you need a fallback for other platforms as well.

Cliff Owen

Nov 5, 2010, 12:41:46 AM11/5/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Well, my status report on these is that they seem to be huge wins, but so
far they aren't.

The iAd support required work to ensure rotations behave properly on the
iPad. Fortunately this was the same fix for Landscape right on iPhone which
the app handled but the plugin didn't. It's certainly baffling to tell it to
put the ad on the top and it continues to show up on the bottom. :(

The Media Player plugin behaves differently on OS 3.1, OS 3.2 (iPad), OS 4.0
and OS 4.1. Sometimes you cannot play your own audio effects when music is
playing, sometimes you can. On the iPad, sometimes (20% of the time) the
music plays nearly 2x (ala Alvin and the Chipmunks), and on all OS 4.1
devices I have (3) the music stops after 2-3 seconds and you have to hit the
play button 3 or 4 more times to get it to resume (with errors dumping to
xcode console). After it resumes, it seems to continue without any more
problems.

No comments on the store kit or the etcetera plugin yet.

The big question is: How long will it take me to find and fix these
problems? These code snippets simply aren't well tested across a range of
devices and OS versions where they can actually be deployed.

I have submitted these as bugs, but it's really too soon to know if there is
any customer support or if response times are reasonable (which I would
consider to be 72 hours I guess).

Is the Game Center stuff still working well?

GrouchoDuke

Nov 5, 2010, 1:12:51 AM11/5/10
to Unity3D Developers
> Is the Game Center stuff still working well?

So far I've only used the GC plugin to connect internet multiplayer
games. I was able to set up 2 to 4 player games without any
problems. 4 player is currently the max that you can do with the
standard Apple GC UI. I believe you can do up to 16 player games, but
that requires some magic that I haven't messed with.

-Bryan

John Grden

Nov 5, 2010, 9:47:07 AM11/5/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
wow thanks Cliff, I appreciate the heads up on this

[  JPG  ]

Cliff Owen

Nov 5, 2010, 11:52:57 AM11/5/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
My pleasure, here’s an update and then I’m done unless he/they come back with fixes:

  • I’ve reproduced the 2x playback issue on a second iPad. Once this happens, it affects all system playback. I can shutdown my application, load up the iPod player and it will play 2x as well. You have to reboot your iPad to resolve this issue.
  • The music stopping actually does occur on OS 4.0 as well but it’s closer to a minute rather than 2-3 seconds.
  • The media picker doesn’t rotate on the iPad and it appears to be more work to get that working than the iAd plugin.
  • Customer support response was less than 1 day, which was great. Unfortunately, he just blamed Unity and claimed he couldn’t repro the iPad issue.

So, I’ve pulled the Media Player from my app. It’s not a very expensive plugin, fortunately, but it sure would’ve been nice if it worked. It’s such a heavily requested feature, maybe Unity will make it a feature someday. :)

IAd is staying in for now. Etcetera is pulled. StoreKit: Don’t know yet. I still haven’t played with it.

Cliff Owen

Nov 8, 2010, 2:38:22 PM11/8/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Well, he hasn’t come back with fixes per-se, but he’s reproduced some of the issues and has been in pretty constant contact with me since the issues originally came up.

Most of the issues have been worked around regarding the music library. If you are interested in trying it out and run into issues, drop me a line and I’ll tell you what I ended up doing to solve the problems. They’re hacky, but I think I can manage to ship a game like this. I haven’t seen the issue with 2x in a little bit and beginning to be suspicious of the particular file I was testing with.

So, customer support rating is definitely going up. Media picker rotates with the iphone keyboard... My bad. I disabled that rotation, and fixed it since then. OS4 clearly just has bugs in the audio subsystem. Nothing else to say about that.

Sam Brown

Nov 10, 2010, 7:43:24 PM11/10/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
any opinions regarding unity 3.1's asset store? consolidating resources seems like a way to make assets easier to find.

Joe Schultz

Nov 10, 2010, 7:54:57 PM11/10/10
to unity3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Think it's a good idea; would like it more if Undo didn't break after opening Asset Store :O

Otherwise, yeah prefer all this is kept in a single place; hope UT doesn't go plug-in crazy where "what should be base" features are only offered as plug-ins, extensions (ala Autodesk).

joe
(smells a point release coming!)